The Missionary Journal of O. Rudeen Allred (Rutena)
L.D.S. Missionary, Tahitian Mission


Wednesday, October 12, 1938
Here I am in Hikueru at last! Once again I find I must just relate any incident that may come to my mind while thinking back over this last trip. Here's the review:

Left Papeete Wednesday, Oct. 5, at 3:15 P.M., just shortly after writing the last page. Once again I have completed a long trip, alone... and this one has been long... and without a pihai . I can't say as I enjoyed the trip at all due to more sore bones, muscles and rain.

A good rainstorm hit us, driving me inside where I had to sit up for fifteen minutes. Then that evening, just after I had returned to the top of the hatch and got comfortable once again, another big one hit us. This time I was soaked, my pillows, my peue , and blanket before I could move. Then due to cold I went below, where the steward gave me his bunk to lay on. I stayed there all day and the next night.

Upon arriving at an uninhabited Island about 27 miles from Hikueru and about six hours out of Hikueru, the darn Chinamen decided they wanted some fish and birds. They sent the crew ashore to get them; I went too, glad to get the exercise.

We surely made a day of it on that Island. Cooked fish on rocks for ourselves, drank pape haari , cooked some big lobsters, and also some shell fish. We stayed ashore all day and just made the Chinamen wait for us. I got back my land legs while there, and also participated in getting birds. As they flew by, we threw rocks at them. I hit four, dropped two, killed one... good exercise!

Back on ship once again. Food that evening consisted of fish, rice, potatoes and what I thought was a vegetable. I ask Rico what it was and he said, "Silver Beet", verifying my thoughts of vegetable. I ate two small pieces, but didn't like it so much so when no one was looking, overboard went the "vegetable". When Rico came back I had just a very little left on my plate. He said, "How did you like the bird?" I laughed too, but he doesn't know why. "He who laughs up his sleeve enjoys it", says I.

 Elder Percy B. Asay
O vau e to'u hoa i mua i te Fare Orometua i Hikueru
Elder Asay & I at our home in Hikueru "city"

We arrived in Hikueru at night so we had to wait on board ship until daylight before I could go ashore. On shore I met Elder Asay, a swell strapping youth from Wyoming. He is just opposite from my first companion so I figure we'll get along swell.

Levi caught the boat from here and left us to ourselves. Most of the people are in Gake so we didn't stay long at the "city". We caught a small sailboat and went across the Lagoon to Gake.

Our quarters here are quite comfortable. We have a little lean-to all our own with a bed, table, two chairs and mat rugs. People leave us alone considerably to what they did in Takaroa. I figure I'll get lots of language study here.

Since arriving we have visited quite a number of families so I am becoming acquainted rapidly.. Darned if I know any of their names yet. That's my weakness.

A fellow gave me a few worthless "rocks" yesterday. They are pretty to look at but absolutely no good. I keep them just to show people.

Attended Haapiiraa  this evening. I was surely surprised I didn't have anything to do. Speech, song, or something. It'll come Sunday! And I guess that covers everything, nearly, and now to work and do my best to serve my Church and Lord in this new assignment. I feel blessed with a good companion and among some fine people. I hope I may be worthy of the same. Tirara .

Thursday, October 13, 1938
Before Primary this morning, I tried to dig out a little more knowledge from my grammar. Then after a couple of hours, Elder Asay & I went to Primary. He led the singing, the teacher took a short lesson, and I took the kids outside and taught them a game. My language is improving slowly; at least I can do more now than I once could.

After that was over we came back to the house for more study. Following dinner, we attended Relief Society. Pereti gave the lesson, and I followed fairly well.

Then we took our usual visiting walk. A yacht had been sighted heading for the city. We all had it figured out that the yacht would land there, Americans come ashore and find no one who could speak English. There was nothing to do but to go meet it, so Pereti and I were called on. We boarded a vaa  with a big sail, and with two natives to handle it, we started across the lagoon.

A heavy wind was blowing so we made fast time. The trip wasn't very enjoyable because we had to watch every move we made or over into the miti  we would go. Once the bow started diving into the water nose first so a native had to make a quick jump to the rear of the vaa  to lift the bow up. About a hundred yards from shore the sails were pulled in. By some mistake the sail dropped too fast and landed in the water and began filling up. The boy, steering, left the rudder and tried to reach the sail. Immediately the boat started to swing sideways into the strong current. Pereti was riding a wing, and he leaped to the rudder to straighten it out. I was sitting directly in the middle so couldn't go either way. I picked out a rock a few yards away and wondered if I could make it. Well, the boat didn't capsize but it was too close for comfort; soon we landed.

Upon arriving on shore we inquired of the Americans and learned they were in a house not far away. Imagine our surprise to find they knew Tahitian; in fact had been down here about three years.

We found them to be more or less just "tramps" I might say. There were three young men, just living off the country and picking up native girls for company.

We stayed at the city in our house that night. Just a time wasted trip. A thrill though.

Friday, October 14, 1938
The Americans and a few Tahitians and we two returned by way of the motor-driven boat. On the way we stopped alongside of a few of the divers vaas  and watched them work. First time I have watched the deep divers at work. One American had a motion picture machine so we got to see some real stuff while the natives "did their stuff" for him. This went on for 3 hrs.

After arriving here we visited more families. Today I was given a nice coral growth pearl shell and a few nice shells. These people are surely good to me.

The evening consisted of study, a toss of football just before dark, supper prepared by natives, and news from the radio. More study tonight and I shall sleep.

 Elder Percy B. Asay
My companion in Hikueru, Percy B. Asay.
"Na Rudena Oro. This is only a Friend and
a companion in the Gospel, expressing his
appreciation for our acquaintance and
labors together here in the Tahitian
mission. Ta aitoito a oe i te ohipa a to taton
. Percy B. Asay, Lovell, Wyoming"

Saturday, October 15, 1938
The morning passed quickly by as I was busy writing up an introductory speech for tomorrow. I'm sure I will have to give one so I better be prepared. Pereti and I also took turns at reading from the Tahitian Book of Mormon to help our pronunciation.

As this is Saturday afternoon we went for a swim and took a little recreation. I picked up a few pipi  shells just to make ornaments of, and for Viri. I didn't get enough for a chance of poi pipi . After the swim we bathed and then threw the football awhile.

Tonite we visited Tahiri ma . While there talking with him, Huri came in. We talked for quite awhile and then prepared to leave. Huri and I went out first and he told me to follow him. I told Elder Asay I'd be right back and I walked with Huri to his house a few yards away. He gave me the prettiest pukakana  I have ever seen down here among natives or Elders. Gee, they surely treat me swell. I thought the Senior Elder was always the favorite. Very hearty was my thanks for such a nice gift. I surely hope I can get it home safely; they break so easily if handled roughly. It'll surely look pretty in our home.

Out of ink so I better close for tonight.

Sunday, October 16, 1938
Sunday in Hikueru. It found me attending Priesthood meeting, Sunday School, Sacrament Mtg. so far. In Sacrament Mtg. I had to give a usual customary introductory speech of myself. Still I have to read most of what I say; however I was able to look up oftener. Comments of "oioi roa to'oe parau Tahiti ", and "mea papu roa ", "mauruuru " etc. were given me after meeting. Shucks! These people are easy to talk to. I'm certainly losing my fear of talking to them.

We spent most of this afternoon visiting a couple of families. Once again I was given a nice sized parau  shell. If this keeps up, Viri will get some shells.

Just finished with Feia Api . These people are much more full of life than Takaroans. They play guitars and sing just about as well. However, I don't think the younger folks are nearly as friendly. We have very much prettier girls but not nearly as many young fellows. The girls are even more active than the fellows too.

I thought sure I was going to have to sing a solo tonight, but I guess my talk this morning saved me.

Monday, October 17, 1938
Just about as hard to study here as it is in Takaroa. It's impossible to stay still very long. Between human pests such as flies, mosquitoes, and humans, studying is fifi roa . I never saw a place with so many flies and mosquitoes as this place. I killed thirty flies just slapping at them. Surely a nuisance.

For a rest I played a little while with the football trying to teach these kids how to pass and catch.

Another pukakana  was given me today plus two fairly nice tihikos . I accept them so that I can give them away when I get to Tahiti. Some of the Elders may not get them so I'll get them for them. Pukakanas  I mean. I have one which is all I want. The rest are nice but too much trouble carrying around.

All evening I had my nose in my grammar book.

 Pereti and Rutena i Gake
Pereti and Rutena i Gake

Tuesday, October 18, 1938
One week gone by. It seems more than that since I arrived here, but, gee, time flies it seems. My eight months will soon be up and I just wonder how much language I'll know by then. I'm trying each day to gain a little, but this language is hard and there is no two ways about it. My mingling with these Pomutiori  speaking natives doesn't help much either.

Today I spent awhile trying to polish a tihiko  just by use of a file and hack saw. What a job! Surely takes more time than I feel like giving at this stage of my learning. My fingers are sore aplenty.

Surely rained today. A lady put a wash-tub under the eves drain and that filled twice within the course of twenty minutes. All day has been rather stormy and cloudy. Mea rahi roa i te naonao .

Tonight we tried to get news. I enjoyed dance music for a half hour and then when the news came, in came static so we only got one item worthwhile... England & Arabs war. Tirara .

Wednesday October 19, 1938
Been working practically all day on my shell and writing a letter to Mother & Dad and one to Bobby. Tomorrow Tahiri is going to the city, and from there he will catch the Aito  into Papeete.

This morning I read Frank Stimpson's Tahitian Grammar all through; didn't learn much I hadn't read before.

Just returned from Wednesday night's meeting. It was good as much as I could get out of it; I can at least sing along with the rest. More study again tonight before retiring.

Thursday, October 20, 1938
Up again before the sun (5:30) and preparing for another day. Primary was attended and after that all the kids came to our house so Pereti and I began a game of "pass" football. We each chose sides and went to it. In my huddles and gab I surely got practice with pronouns. My side incidently won by three to one in touchdowns. The kids surely enjoyed the game. One thing marred the fun... I lost my tihiko ... a pretty shell growth and a big days work I put on it makes me sorry to have lost it.

Relief Society today. They seemed quite satisfied with the Haapiiraa  I had written and Pereti translated and gave.

A good swim after the ball-game surely cooled me off by the time R.S. started. We certainly took a day of recreation. This afternoon we got throwing spears at coconuts on posts at a distance of maybe 25 yards. I hit one, much to my surprise, in about twelve tries. To finish the fun of the day I got two dogs to fight and then clubbed them with sticks to break it up.

Before bed I'm really going to put in two good hours solid work to sleep on. Tired now, but kaitoa .

Friday, October 21, 1938
Walked around the house the first thing this morning, and when I reached the front door, I had my lost tihiko . Surely odd how I felt sure I would find it if I looked this morning. Right to the side of the path where we played football... lucky.

Been at work studying practically all day. Surely wish I could say I knew the language so I could study something worthwhile. It's quite a tedious task.

Went across the way and found a woman suffering from coming child-birth. Elder Asay and I and her husband administered to her at the request of her husband. She will undoubtedly give birth tonight. I mention this just to show what these women can take. She went out with her husband again today same as she always has and assisted him with his diving work. About noon she was quite sick so he brought her in. Surely got to hand it to them for nerve. She'll be out again next week, working.

Went to give out news tonight but everyone had gone to bed.

 O vau
O Vau. Taken at Hikueru sometime in October. This
was before the "Famine". Later I lost seven pounds.

Saturday, October 22, 1938
Went to bed last night with quite a pain through my chest. All night I had bad dreams, and this morning I could hardly dress. I was up at 6:00 and took a long walk to try to loosen myself of the pain, but that didn't do much good. Cooked breakfast, ate and then lay down with my Tahitian B. of M. for study. I read about thirteen pages and quit.

Cooked dinner, scratched away at my tihiko  and just tried to take things quietly for awhile. I haven't any idea what has taken me like this, but it surely hurts to move.

Moruga â Punua fanauhia inapo. Hoê tamahine api te parahi nei i nia iho teie pae au moana nei. E mea naitai roa toira mama i teie taime. E taata mata'u ore ona. 

Poor Tahitian I can see now, but it will have to do. I can read it "chinky" if it's written that way.

Feeling a little better tonight, but still sore, and a feeling of complete tiredness. Gee, it hurt! I'm glad I'm in good physical condition and don't get sick easy, or I'd be down.

(What is there this date Oct. 22, is reminding me of?) Goodnight.

Sunday, October 23, 1938
Up bright and early this morning preparing for church. I took a good cold, brisk bath and it certainly seems to have pulled me out of the kinks. Ua mauiui roa to'u ouma. 

During Sunday School the poti  arrived from the city with news from Papeete and mail for us. I could hardly wait for that hour to pass. When we did get to the house, I was pleased to find two letters from Mother, three from Bobby, one from Vern & Fern, one from Lucille, and the last from Mapuhi, ta'u hoa maitai roa i Takaroa. 

I can't quite figure this out: Bobby's letters dated Aug. 13, 17, & 21; Mothers, Lucilles, & Verns all dated Sept. 25 or thereabouts. Why didn't I receive more from B. dated later? I wonder if they are being held in Papeete or if............

Gee, news from Mother was swell. Dad's work couldn't be better if he will take it easy and not work too hard. That scripture she quoted from B of M surely brought tears of happiness and thankfulness to my eyes. "The Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them."

News came to me today that Hutia died. Although I did expect to learn she had died, I didn't think it would be so soon. Huri told me, and when I returned to the house, I began telling Pereti my story in Niau. He had been helping a fellow with a Haapiiraa  for tonight, and when that fellow heard me mention names such as Hutia, Otara, Katupu, etc., he told me he was the son of Hutia. I was quite surprised. We began talking and I told him some of what I knew about certain things. When we finished talking he was unable to take the lesson tonight so Pereti kindly consented for him.

He is going to Niau to see what he can do about any unfinished work there. He is just a poor native without very much means, and as I have been blessed lately and feeling I have an interest in dear old Hutia, I gave him twelve French dollars to help him on his way. How full of appreciation he was! I have been repaid a thousand times in happiness tonight because of his true appreciation. Gee, I'm getting soft lately. I couldn't help but kinda "sniff" with him. Shucks, ....

Pereti put the lesson over in fine style so everything has been satisfactory today. Even in my blessing of Sacrament I felt very peaceful; the Lord is kind.

During the lesson at night a big veri  ran out from under the bench I was sitting on. The kids on the front row drew Pereti's attention to it as it was heading right for him. He was pretty scared at first, but after the first sight of it, he stepped on it and smashed it. O.K.

Monday, October 24, 1938
The first thing this morning we took a walk through the coconut trees to the east side of this Island. Once again I got right next to the big ocean.

["Big ocean" is a literal translation of what the Tahitians call the ocean outside the protective reef]

Good exercise to start the day off with. I then cooked wheat cereal and prepared breakfast.

Most of the morning I prepared my Haapiiraa  for Wednesday night. Following our study, we played football for a few minutes then cooled off in the miti . Returned, bathed, I cleaned up the house and cooked supper of corn gravy and bread, jam & milk.

Tonight we visited Tahiri ma  as they are leaving for Tahiti in the morning. Gee, I'm tired. I wrote another three pages on Mother's letter.

Tuesday, October 25, 1938
Tahiri ma  didn't get off this morning again, so I had time to write more on Bobby's letter, one to Mapuhi, and a letter of appreciation to Bro. Wm. E. Newman.

Haven't done much today except study a little on the language and go for a visit twice. Once we went over to see the new baby, and the other time I went to see Tahiri.

This evening we gave out the news. Once again I surely enjoyed listening to the good old dance music.

Oh boy! More fun. Pereti's "girlfriend" is beginning to forget him and is coming to me now. I surely like to kid him about it. I get kidded right back though. Shucks! I enjoy just about every day down here.

Wednesday, October 26, 1938
That tihiko  is causing more trouble than it's worth. I couldn't find it this morning even after tearing off a row of niau  from the house. I searched the whole house even under the mats and then gave it up for lost. Darn! so near completed too.

Looked over my lesson for tonight during the morning, after I had done all the work and cooked breakfast. Pereti and I used about two hours looking over newspapers after dinner.

We took a walk to watch the divers come in this afternoon. Pou gave us two big fish so they had to be cooked before meeting. Tonight I took over my first Haapiiraa  with the exception of Niau. My questions were on the Tuatapaparaa No Te Ekalesia , and I figure they liked it by the response I was given. For once I was before an audience and really enjoyed it. I was surprised how calm I felt and how easy it was to speak.

Tonight I prepared for bed. Upon putting on my pajamas, there was that darned ornament which I immediately remembered placing in the pocket of the jacket while I scratched away at another at bedtime. I'll surely have to tie a string on it.

Flies and mosquitoes are driving me crazy. Even set a smoke smudge, this morning, in the house.

Thursday, October 27, 1938
Up again very early because between the Catholic bell and mosquitos, I just can't sleep after daylight.

We went to Primary again, and afterwards I worked on a few questions for the Relief Society hioporaa  this afternoon. That took about fifteen minutes, so the rest of the time I read grammar.

Visited two families this afternoon besides attending Relief Society Mtg.

Tonight Pereti and I dug up some good old English songs and sang until we became hoarse and ready for bed.

Friday, October 28, 1938
Surprise! I slept through the ringing of the Catholic bell this morning. Even the mosquitos left me alone. However I was up before the sun and had breakfast going.

Gee, these people are so different from my friends in Takaroa. They surely begrudge doing our laundry let alone ever bringing food or helping us in any way. If I ever hear another peep out of their ornery hides about mea rahi te maa ahu repo, e â ore ra, e mea hoo rahi i te puá teie nei , I'll ...... Anyway, I'll do my own washing. Pereti agrees with me on the fact that they treat the Missionaries worse than any other Island does. I'm glad, for the first time, that we don't have to stay here long.

We have been studying most of the day except for our daily ori haere noa . We visited about six families.

Food was good today until I pulled a big fish scale out of the bread I was chewing. However that Chink ever gets fish scales in his bread is beyond me. Probably the same way a big cockroach got in one loaf and wasn't found until the loaf was sliced. Mmm.

Gave out news tonight. These days are speeding rapidly by. Oct. about gone. One more night about over.

Saturday, October 29, 1938
Once again I took a long walk before breakfast. This time I followed the shore-line as far as I could, just moseying along enjoying the early morning air all by myself. I was gone exactly 1:20 steady walking.

After breakfast Pereti cut my hair, and then dared me to cut his. I began all right, but just as I was in the thick of it, Takotaha came by, and I had him finish it.

Tonight we got in a long discussion with Paata and Mahinui over their repenting. After two hours, we got Paata back into the works. Tomorrow her work will be given back to her. Mahinui, we couldn't do a thing with. I surely hope he sees the error someday and will repent. He really is a decent fellow and smart too.

I read and saw a "fish" story tonight, but undoubtedly it is true. A fellow from Marokau wrote a letter describing a fish he caught. It is one etaeta  and a half long, (about 9 ft.) one centimeter wide (four ft.) and 10 inches thick. He drew a picture of it so I guess it's a fact.

Sunday, October 30, 1938
One more Sunday passed peacefully by. Pereti and I administered Sacrament as our sole work today. Most of the time that I haven't been in Church and cooking, I have been reading the Bible. Read I Samuel for today.

Tonight I believe I lost my girl-friend back to Pereti. I showed her Bobby's picture. She, like the rest thought it the most beautiful girl he has ever seen, but shucks! She seemed to turn a cold shoulder at me the rest of the evening. More fun! Took pictures today.

Monday, October 31, 1938
No. 100 for the last day of October.

[This entry begins at the top of page 100 in the original hand-written journal.]

And what a day! We got about fifteen Catholic fellows and taught them the game of tackle football. Our own Mormons, I'm ashamed to say, weren't good enough sports to join in. My stiffness, sore spots, and sand cuts prove we taught the real American stuff. These fellows felt for once they could get ahold of the Missionary without being hoodood, and believe me they did it. Pereti played one side and I played the other, we each doing most of the ball carrying. Sand may be soft, but it cuts like the dickens and fills ears and mouths. More fun.

After working up a big steam, we went for a hopu i te miti  to cool off. If I ever felt good toward the ocean, I surely did then.

Tonight we have been gathering some Genealogy from the Branch Book for some Saints. We are both good and tired so I'm going to bed. 1 touchdown to 0 for us.

Tuesday, November 1, 1938
At the beginning of this new month I am going to try to write better by changing pens again. My writing has slackened terribly.

Today has been just about the same as yesterday except that I studied more than I played. Translated eleven pages of Book of Mormon which took most of the morning.... that is when I could get alone.... the kids still like to hang around and help us from our work. There's nothing we can do about it either.

Some of the older men wanted to play football, so we went with them for a couple of hours. I opened the cuts on my elbows and filled them with sand once again. Mauiui .

My wardrobe is getting low. Not a bar of soap on the Island, and there won't be any until the ship arrives taking us to Marokau. Our laundry has been out for two weeks and not finished yet. I have white clothes I guess I'll have to wear for every day unless something happens. No more football for us for awhile.

My team beat Pereti's 5 touch. to 0.

Wednesday, November 2, 1938
Once again I spent the morning with my nose buried in my Tahitian Grammar, Book of Mormon and Dictionary, just translating from the B. of M. Covered about twelve pages today. In fact that is about all I have done today except shine a pipi  shell I was given this morning (with pearl in.. tihiko ), and go visiting for about two hours.

Tonight was our regular Haapiiraa . After meeting I struck away at a kid's ukelele for awhile. Now before Sunday I've got to get in and learn a setting apart prayer. Maybe I better get it written tonight.

 Page 101

Thursday, November 3, 1938
Today has been a day well worth remembering. As this invitation suggests, it must be a swell affair.

Our good friends Tagaroa and Teraiefa tied the matrimonial knot for time, in as pretty a Native display as I have yet seen. Everything was very marvelous.

As the fellow is the Governor's son, the affair was the biggest and best that has been seen or heard for quite a long time around here.

 Tagaroa and Teraiefa
Tagaroa and Teraiefa

Our invitation to attend came at noon, and at six, as the wedding procession, headed by the very nice looking couple, came past our house, we joined with them and walked to the place for the ceremony.

Immediately behind the couple came the young folks and their guitars. They sang very pretty songs as we walked along.

Upon arriving at the "knot" house, we saw another sight as only natives can conceive. A niau  shack completely covered with ferns and flowers. It really looked like beautiful garden growing inside and outside upon the walls, ceiling and roof.

At the completion of the ceremony we all returned to the big Fare Hau  for the Tamaaraa . Once more I was surprised at how much flowers and ferns can transfigure an old house. By this time it was dark with the exception of the pretty Tahitian moon overhead, so to see everything bathed in moonlight, people all dressed in spotless white clothes, guitars playing, young folks singing,... I wish my wedding could take place in these Islands.

 Page 102

Inside the big house, that once was the store during the days when 2,000 men and families were here during "boom" days, they had places set for two hundred and seventeen people:

Hanging everywhere were ferns and flowers. The tables were all set with vases of flowers. This diagram shows the arrangement of the seating. Pereti and I were given very choice seats right in front of the couple. The family are Catholics, but that large table in the center was set for the Missionaries, our presidencies, and members. The rest of the people and children sat in the long space.

Now for the food and entertainment. To begin with we were served two helpings of soup followed in order by two Komagas  and sauce, pork stew, chicken, salad, chicken stew with pork, cake and pears. For drink the Mormons were all served bottled pop. Each was given all he could drink. Four bottles sufficed me, but some of the old boys beat that. The other people at our table and the little one were given wine, and the two outside tables had water. All during the serving of the courses mana'os  were given and the guitars were played.

Dean, you've witnessed and have been invited to as nice an affair as you will ever see! Even America would have a hard time putting anything like that over in such a beautiful, pleasing manner.

Friday, November 4, 1938
Of course there's always a hitch to everything nice. Because of my eating so much and then going right to bed, I had a hard night. I awoke this morning with a good hangover, so to get rid of it I took a walk up the trail toward the sun, eating four utos  in the course of the walk. By the time I returned I was feeling tiptop.

Pereti and I walked to the little decorated wedding house just to see it in the daylight. Surely pretty. Pereti with his moving camera got some pictures.

Our food today has consisted of left-overs. The "old lady" gave us some pork and bread, so Pereti made some good soup. We had to buy cake from the Chink though for maa hopea . Studied tonight!

Saturday, November 5, 1938
For once I found myself with nothing to do all day but study. Even at that I'm afraid I didn't utilize my time just right. After fixing breakfast I ate and then got into my translation. By noon I was finished with Mosiah. After that I prepared dinner.

This evening about sundown we went to Ogaga for awhile. Shucks! My little girlfriend (the one I got from Pereti) gave me a very nice white hat that she had woven and sewed. Good old Manava! She's a nice little damsel at that.

This day has been long because of a series of interruptions so my work has been interfered with. Even at that I'm afraid time is passing away too rapidly. Up at 5:30 A.M. every morning and bed at 9:00 P.M. Even at that I wish they were longer hours.

 Sunday School inland
Our Amuiraa  (Sunday School) inland. This is the usual size of the groups.
Punua Pereti Takotaha Vahua Teahu Terahou Paata Kehauri Kaoko Tekuna Mahinui Huri

Sunday, November 6, 1938
Sunday is getting more interesting each time now that I am beginning to take part. In Priesthood meeting I led one song, in Sunday School I went into the Primary class and led a song in there, then after S.S. I read my Bible. I'm over into II Kings now.

In Fast Meeting I acted voice for the first time in setting apart an officer. Then in Testimony time I was second to talk. I spoke for about two minutes in Tahitian. For once I'm beginning to use my language a little more publicly; surely helps. It all started with my beginning to pray night before last in Tahitian. Shucks! The outlook is brighter now than it has been for awhile even though I never have thought it hopeless. Time will tell now.

More Bible tonight and I shall retire happy. Mother's birthday.

Monday, November 7, 1938
What a nice boner I made this morning! Marere brought in a certain type of fishes tail for me. As he was showing it he mentioned "hitu dola " only with a sharp break on the "dolar ". Well, I took it that he was trying to sell it to me, so I told him "aita vau i hinaaro i teia nei ". And then tonight he brought it in and gave it to Pereti. Afterwards I learned that a "dolá " was one of the sharp points the thing has on it, and that tail had seven of them. Shucks! I surely want one now.

However, today I was given an armful of shells and two tihikos  by Teahu; prettiest shells I have yet seen. He said he would "faaî " my box for me if I would take his picture... sold!

We have visited most of the day, as we are going to the city tomorrow and await the boat in case orders come... we must be ready.

 Crossing the lagoon
Going across the lagoon on a boat from inland to the "city". Pereti caught me almost
asleep. Te hoe tereraa i te oire i Hikueru . I crossed this Lagoon no less than ten times.

Tuesday, November 8, 1938
We left inland early this morning for the city. After a hurried rush of packing and getting every thing together. The Governor sent his boat to take us.

The boat ride was uneventful except for the pictures we took... Pereti with his moving camera.

The Gov. told us we could stay in his home until we left or returned to Gake, so we have it plenty comfortable here.. shower, beds, everything.

Some girls pulled and husked pape haaris  for us. I drank four, three more than I ever drank at one time. I'm beginning to like them.

No ship has arrived yet, but it should be here tomorrow or maybe Thursday. Tonight I am retiring early to the Governor's bed.

Wednesday, November 9, 1938
We surely have had a day of rest here at the city today. Ship didn't arrive so we haven't had a thing to do. Gov. came down today so we visited with him for awhile.

Teriki Nui gave us each a coconut ring and showed us how he makes them. Not a bad little souvenir. I wear mine just to be native.

Our treatment here is much better than at Gake. We haven't been out of pape haaris , or fish or bread since coming here. An ironical thing about it, non-Mormons are doing it for us. The Mormons in Hikueru, I'm afraid, are surely outclassed in friendship to their Missionaries.

Today I wrote Ena & Dona each a letter. I hardly dare send mail on this boat tomorrow so that is all I am sending this time.

Marere with octopus, "fei ". These octopuses are really playful fellows. Marere later on had
a good meal of octopus tentacles even though he did catch it because I said I would take
his picture if he'd get one. This is the little boat we crossed the lagoon so many times in.
We have also crossed in a vaa  a few times. Just off Marere's right shoulder in the distance
you can faintly see our "Gake " (pronounced nuh-kay). We stayed there most of the time.

Thursday, November 10, 1938
Shucks! 21 years old! What does a birthday mean anyway? Today hasn't been a bit different than any other except that I have been a little more anxious for the boat to arrive so that I might have a letter from home for a Birthday Present. No such luck! All day we have been expecting it, but no soap. Well, tomorrow is another day.

Once again we were supplied with cooked fish and the best ground up shell-fish I have eaten. Also some faraipanis  fresh from the pan. We ate good, along with the peas I cooked, so even though no cake was served, we enjoyed the meal.

I used up my roll of films today. The last picture I got was a honey. I went to see the boat off as the Gov and some were returning inland. Marere caught a good sized octopus and held it in his arms while I took the picture. The thing just clamped its "suckers" on his arm. First time I've ever seen anything quite like that. He was very glad to hold it while I took his picture.

Well, Happy Birthday, Dean! Faaitoito. Te ani atu nei au ì te Atua ia haamaitai ia oe . At least I can sleep good tonight, knowing ship will come someday.

Friday, November 11, 1938
I remarked to Pereti this morning saying, "The reason that ship hasn't come is because I haven't written my Mother a letter to send on it." An hour later I had a letter written, and two hours later the boat was sighted.

Then began our waiting, wondering whether to get everything ready for ship or if we should wait for word. We waited.....

Mail came from Home 1, Vern & Fern 1, and Bobby 4, so the armistice was signed after all. $25 also looked mighty good.

The President's letter was a surprise, especially to me. We are to take the next chance into Tahiti for Xmas and Elder's Convention. Shucks! I just got out here and have surely been thinking I would stay until April. Well, how about it? Is anything definite or does anything go?

We returned once again inland. Same people, no food, no water. I hope Tangi brings our box of food tomorrow.

Tonite Teahu gave me a few shells and one big Tihiko  which isn't up to much. I guess some Elder in Tahiti will be glad to get a few extra shells I get for them. Wonder what's ahead now???????

Saturday, November 12, 1938
I suppose I'll be glad to go to Tahiti and then maybe get sent out among some people I can get to liking such as Takaroa. These people here aren't friends. Pereti says they are entirely different than any he has been among. I can easily say "parau mau te reira ". All day nothing but a lot of babbling has been going on next door; they certainly pick their neighbors apart. Of course I am not talking about the half dozen that do help us out and act a little friendly.

Today I walked quite awhile; before breakfast and during the afternoon. In my journeys I ate seven good utos . Na Tafau gave me a nice tihiko  this afternoon. The rest of my time I studied grammar and translated B. of M. For two hours I gave the "ruaus " my assistance on the football field. We won three to nothing. The end came as soon as a dispute started.

Pereti traded his football for some pipis  and tihikos , and ever since there has been nothing but trouble and disputes. He surely sorry now because of all the trouble. "Kaitoa ", as the Pumutions say.

More study on my "red book" and to bed I go.

Sunday, November 13, 1938
After meetings we celebrated my birthday by my buying a can of grapes and four taviriviris . With milk and jam spread on the taviriviris  we had our cake. This has been the first time I have had a good chance to get things, so it was quite a treat.

This afternoon between a couple of visits and reading my grammar, the day passed away.

Tonight Marihara called on Pereti and me for a duet. We never sang together so we were the goats. However we got a big kick out of the mistakes we made.... so did they. Aue! Rutena raua Pereti e! 

Te tapaeraa i te oire. Pereti, Pou e te Tahi hoa no matou.
Old man Asay himself and Hikueru wharf to the lagoon. Hikueru, Nov. "38"

Monday, November 14, 1938
Immediately after breakfast Pereti and I decided we were tired of waiting for these people to ever bring us a fish to help out so we went after them ourselves. Pou and Nohori's kid were going fishing so we went with them in Pou's sailing vaa . At the same time we left, Tekotaha left in his vaa  for the city across the Lagoon. We sailed side by side for awhile and then it turned into a race.

As we passed the "fishing grounds" Pou asked if we should keep in the race clear to the city. "Sure", so we continued on. We won by two minutes after a mighty close run.

We stayed there just long enough to get a few things and then returned to fish. We used a drag net, and after covering three holes, we had obtained about 37 fish. The feature of the whole day was my catching a fish in my hat. As the fish ran toward the net they would throw themselves over it and escape. I got tired of watching them get away so often so I took off my hat and stood behind the net. Sure enough I had one caught in it. What a surprise!

We returned home, cooked the fish and now to read before one more day passes by.

Tuesday, November 15, 1938
Today shall be remembered because I obtained a very pretty pearl from Kuranui. E mea puai i to'na aroha mai ia'u, no reira ua hoômai oia ia'u te hoe poe maitai roa... moni mâmâ. Pae ahuru tola no te reira. E taata oaoa nei au no te mea ua roaa vau e mea no to'u hoa here i Merite. E hamanihia te hoê tapea no te faaipoiporaa. 

But that isn't all I obtained. He gave me, as tao'a aroha , a white parau  shell very, very, rare. I have only seen one like it only smaller... Pereti's. Also a flat ereere  pearl for a cravat pin and a tihiko  found loose in the shell; also rare. I certainly have a friend in Kuranui. Goes to show that what we might do to help certain people, how much they appreciate it.

 Parau ring

I cut out a ring today from parau  and shined it up. It has been sprinkling on and off all day so we haven't been able to do much more than just sit around, work on shells and read.

Wednesday, November 16, 1938
I just can't seem to get going again since returning back here. Of course I haven't books to look at as I had when my boxes were here, but with that trip to Tahiti on my mind I just can't seem to do much.

My grammar book is getting a little more use now but shucks! I'd rather be out with someone I can talk to, but dad burn it, the majority of these young folks speak Pamution and I can't get a thing out of it. Hikueru isn't so hot!

Na Pereti i faatere te haapuraa i teie nei po . I just listened and tried to follow.

Got in a game of ball this afternoon. When I left we were leading 14 touchdowns to 9. These fellows have certainly learned how to play as compared to at first. I believe our getting them started was worth while.

Thursday, November 17, 1938
It gives me the "creeps" to read what happened here in Hikueru in 1906 and then live through what has been taking place here last night and all day today and still going. The wind and rain during last night awakened us. The trees were bent quite aways over, rain pelting down, and the ground was covered with coconuts and niaus .

We were cold! Even after the door was lowered and the windows shut we still wrapped ourselves in our blankets. Every once in awhile a niau  or coconut would fall on our tin roof, making a big racket and disturbing any sleep we might get. I was glad to see daylight.

During the night a boat broke loose in the lagoon and was washed ashore. I don't know just how much, if any, damage was done, but it surely had the men out working. The lagoon has been nothing but big white-caps all day; I haven't seen the ocean, but it's surely roaring.

Nevertheless we've had our regular Primary and Relief Society meetings... small attendance at each. I've been cook today and maybe it hasn't been fun trying to keep the fire going and food clean.

The wind is a little quieter tonight; I guess we'll sleep.

Friday, November 18, 1938
The storm is all over and what it brought over the reef was a pleasant surprise today. Never before have I wished for a kodak quite so much. A big school of fish (omani ) was sighted just off shore this morning. Immediately a cry went up and in five minutes everyone on the Island was ready to go after them.

Five vaas  of people left shore and traveled behind the fish. There they spread a large net. When the net was spread, the people on shore began a rush out into the water, thus sending the fish into the net. The men in the vaas  quickly circled the two ends and the fish were neatly trapped.

Then began the fun! Men women and children began the work (or fun) of catching them and throwing them into vaas . The water was just shoulder high to begin with and as they worked closer to shore the water was shallower.

When all were caught with the exception of some that the natives ate raw there were 1650. About fifty were eaten raw so altogether we obtained 1700. Pereti and I were in a vaa  helping load. This is actual count because they were counted and divided among every family on the Island. We even received our share... 25 all told.

I believe I've never witnessed or ever will again such a sight. Poor Pereti!... his movie camera was left at the city... colored film and all.

For dinner we ate 7 big ones between us. The rest were cooked on rocks and are now waiting for the sun to dry them.

That rather interfered with the steady round of the day. However I still got in a little work and conversation. Received Hoga's "tooth" today. Faufaa ore iti. 


Saturday, November 19, 1938
Just as I was finishing breakfast, Teahu's kid, Pii, came and talked in puomutiou for three minutes. When he stopped I asked Pereti what he said. This is it: "Are you going diving with us today? If not I'll return." The little fellow stutters something awful, and if I ever heard anything funny it was that.

Well, I packed a couple of sandwiches and went with them... the three of us. Pereti didn't care to go. We spent all day out and obtained 150 shells.

Really I could write pages on what happened but I won't. These fellows are certainly masters at the work. Teahu was doing 60 ft. or better every dive. Something I'll never regret seeing.

I obtained a few pretty shells and a few tihikos . My work was to open them and clean them. Every one that I wanted was mine and Teahu insisted I take them. I got about six all told. Also a very good tan... or burn. It might get hot.

The whole day was spent at that so now I've got a little studying to do tonight.

Sunday, November 20, 1938
I gave a talk in Sacrament meeting today after receiving the assignment this morning. Outside of that Sunday went by as usual; three hall meetings and one Priesthood.

During the afternoon I read newspapers, B.Y.'s Discourses and translated. A very big day but nothing to show for it. I've never seen a Sunday yet that I could write much about.

Monday, November 21, 1938
This morning quite early we left Gake aboard the Gov.'s boat for the city. Now that we are here I guess we'll stay until a chance to Tahiti comes or else some new word.

We haven't done much today except get straightened up. Our home is much nicer here than inland so we try to feel that way.

This evening Elder Asay and I went out on the reef just before dark for a walk to see the fish and etc. We caught two by our hands after running them into shallow pools. Very good sport.

Tonight before turning in I shall do a little reading to get sleepy and then see if the sailboat that was sighted this afternoon has landed.

Tuesday, November 22, 1938
The sailboat came in during the night. On board was a Catholic Priest. As yet he hasn't shown himself to us. They say the Priests are afraid of the Elders. They should be.

Early this morning I walked down the coastline. Teriki Nui was fishing with a net so I joined him. After getting a few "schools", I borrowed his spear and went spearing. I got twelve in a short while. During the course of my running around I kicked a vana  with my big toe. The bristles ran in a ways and broke off. Of all the painful feelings! I had to walk about a quarter of mile over the coral rock to get to the house. The things are poison so I figured I had better get going.

Upon arriving here I soaked it in alcohol, cut the skin with scissors, tried to dig out the fast dissolving points, and then put on merthiolate compress. Soon I was back again but not to chase fish.

Pereti and I walked along through the breakers picking up shell fish. We ate a few raw but took our hatsful to the house, built a rock fire and cooked our fish and shell-fish on it. That was our dinner.

Tonight we built our bed (I mean spread our blanket) out on the sand by the lagoon. I bet we sleep good.

Wednesday, November 23, 1938
Brrrrr!! Say! Who says it doesn't get cold down here? Last nite with my peue  under me and a single blanket over me I had to shake to keep the blood circulating. With the breeze blowing in off the lagoon and cold sand under us we surely got cold. Tonite we are going to sleep here where it's warm even though we do have to sleep on the hard floor.

Nothing much done today. We packed our boxes ready to leave with the exception of the dirty clothes we sent out today. That ship can come any day now.

Tonight we held a haapiiraa . It was voiced around to the few people here that a meeting would be held. Everybody was glad. One girl said she would bring the big light.

Well, time for meeting came... so did one girl. I led the meeting, the singing and gave the lesson and Pereti answered all the questions. The three of us... I guess we got a taste of Missionary life & disappointment. My opinion of Hikueru is going down... down... down!!! gone!

Thursday, November 24, 1938
One consolation... I didn't have to spend Thanksgiving on board ship. In fact as far as having a good meal is concerned, we had as good as could be expected. In fact our grub box now is so depleted we can't exist another week unless something turns up.

For dinner we ate the can of diced carrots we have been saving for the big occasion. Creamed with the can of condensed milk, they constituted the best food we have had for a long time. Along with that we had pea soup with the remainder of milk in it .. Of course we have no bread so we "borrowed" some flour and boiled some faraoa ipos . And that was a swell dinner.

The rest of the day I read B.Y. Disc. Three hours or better it took us to get dinner on account of our having only one pot to cook in. Oh Boy!

Had a good laugh at an old lady on the lagoon today. Aue! 

Friday, November 25, 1938
This ship business is something terrible. I wonder how long we have to hang around here, sleeping on the floor, batting at flies and mosquitos, eating food not at all good for us. Even the people inland are getting flour rationed out to each family. I'll be glad to leave.

Today has been spent in reading and a walk. I studied grammar for a couple of hours & Dale Carnegie's book I read 156 pages. Guess I'll go to bed. P. got stung by a veri  today; not serious.

Saturday, November 26, 1938
Today I finished reading D. C.'s book. I hope I may put some of it into practice. Along with more of my grammar, I just about used the day up in reading.

This afternoon a fellow brought us three big fish. Pereti and I went to the shore of the lagoon to clean them. I took off my shoes and waded out aways to clean mine. Three small sharks smelled the blood and believe me they came pretty close. The first one I saw was within two feet of me. I called Elder Asay and between the two of us we tried to chase them into shallow water. They were too hungry to chase, and got too friendly so we knew we better get out and let them have the lagoon.

We cooked the fish and ate all we cared for. After supper, or during, Teumere and Manava came over with a guitar and we all went into the house and while the girls sang and played P. & I listened. I've just about given mine up; I haven't played anything to speak of since we left Takaroa. Retired after the gals went home.

Sunday, November 27, 1938
This has been a big a day as I've put in down here on Sunday. To begin with, I "cooked" breakfast, then shaved and dressed for Church. I took over the Sunday School, led the singing, and gave & led the Iraa tamaaau . Pereti gave the hioporaa  & made the assignments for Sacrament meeting.

In Sacrament Meeting he and I took over the Sacrament and each gave a talk; mine was on the Three Witnesses to the Book of Mormon. He presided.

During the afternoon I cooked dinner, ate, got us a pape haari , and then we walked way down the Island to the Cemetery... The park, maybe.

Tonight I led the Feia Api , Marere gave the lesson, and this writing now winds the day. Oh yes! I began a letter to B. and wrote more on Mother's .

Monday, November 28, 1938
I have been translating from my B. of M. most all day, except for two walks to the lighthouse for exercise. P. is becoming quite a problem. I wonder if he'll be able to stand the gaff much longer. We are kind of drawing apart... I go walking alone and he does the same. We very seldom do much talking with each other during the day. I reckon both of us are kinda on edge due to what we have on mind. Goodness! If I try to give a suggestion on how a certain thing should be cooked, he feels like he'd like to try to throw me out of the kitchen, so I just stay away now and on his day to cook I stay out. The worst of it is... he's a hellava cook and I have to eat it. I reckon I'm the goat.

Shucks! This is getting to be the life when we have to eat coconut. We went to the Chink's to buy rice, and all he could give us was a cupful. Even that's gone. Oh well! The Lord will provide. Hoga & Ana sent down a half kilo of flour from inland today for us so that will help a little. I wonder how fried coconut would taste?

Tuesday, November 29, 1938
What a day! I've had the big walk I've been looking forward to lately. After putting in all morning cooking, studying, etc., I borrowed a vaa  and asked P. if he wanted to go for a ride. He accepted.

We got on the lagoon and headed for a small island across the lagoon aways. It took us one whole hour of steady rowing; me with a long pole and he with a broken half of an oar. A good current and wind was with us all the way so we clipped right along.

We spent about 45 minutes on the island eating utos  and drinking pape  haaris , and then started back. After fifteen minutes hard steadying rowing with that three inch base pole and broken oar, we had gone only about a hundred yards. The waves were big and we had to keep the nose pointed into them or over we would go.

P. gave out; he just couldn't push any longer. (I'm afraid he hasn't got what it takes when the going gets tough. I couldn't steer and row at the same time so, after a little sharp discussion, we turned toward shore.

The result: we drew the vaa  upon shore and walked all the way home. Believe me it's no fun walking in water up to your knees, the bottom being quite covered with vanas , and big eels swimming about your legs. My shoes (sandals) are just about cut to pieces on account of the sharp coral rocks. By the time we walk back tomorrow, if the wind has calmed down, I suppose I can throw them away.

One thing was accomplished by the trip. Elder Asay and I finally understand each other. Upon returning to the house he made some "crack" to the effect that he hopes I was satisfied for getting us into that fix. Well, sorry to say (or am I?) I kinda flew off and the result was we finally settled our argument by a good Missionary Spirit. We discussed the things that had been pulling us apart lately, each little trouble and all. It ended by our shaking hands and with a new determination to face things a little more closely associated with each other. I'm beginning to believe this condition we have been living in has been grinding our nerves pretty sharp.

Tonite we listened to the Gov.'s radio. While we were there the Catholic Priest walked in, pulled up a chair and just as he was to sit down he looked towards the radio and saw us. He stopped half way down, stood up, muttered something and went out; less that twenty seconds elapsed. My! These Priests are afraid of us, or they maybe just figure they are choosy. We surely got a good laugh.

Wednesday, November 30, 1938
Today I started copying "Wise Sayings" and just about got half finished. I was about five hours at it. That used up practically all the morning for me.

During the afternoon I washed out a few clothes, took a bath and prepared for meeting which was led by Elder Asay.

Today we really learned how the situation stands here and in Gake. The people couldn't buy a bit of food so they gave us 11 francs they had donated to us. Tekotaha brought us the money and news. He said they are eating nothing but fish and coconuts. There is absolutely no food whatsoever. All the canned goods are gone, everything with which to cook. They must have foresaw what was coming because a few days ago the people sent us down some flour, about five cans of food... 2 beans, 2 beef, 1 pineapple, stating that was all. I guess we are living as good as any of them now or very much better. Our food now will last us five days and then we will be out. Worried? Not one bit. We depend on Nature who in turn is governed by God.

Thursday, December 1, 1938
Well, well! A nice (?) new month starting. Really it's a good thing it doesn't get cold down here with our food supply. We hardly can eat enough to supply our bodies with heat now. Whoopee!

I cooked faraoa ipos  for breakfast, and after eating we went after the vaa . The miti  was in so we had to be pretty careful of our stepping. It took us just one hour to get there.

We started back with conditions almost like they were last Tuesday except our unity between ourselves was stronger. By working harmoniously together we overcame the conditions that stopped us before. The waves were high, the vaa  leaked a stream so that I had to bail water every three minutes, but we couldn't be stopped. We worked together and made it back in less than an hour. Not a bit tired either.

The rest of the day we read, held Relief Society Mtg. in which we all talked, and I had to preside.

Nothing much in the evening as all our coal oil is gone. Now we have to sit in the dark or go to bed very early.

Friday, December 2, 1938
Continued work on "Sayings" most of the day, besides reading Tahitian Book of Mormon. Then as a lot of the people are coming down, we went to watch them land.

Everyone is in quite a fix. We watched one old fellow cooking an uto . "Eaha ra? E maa maitai tena?" "Aita vau i ite... tamata noa, tamata noa. " So we are seeing just what nature can do for these people.

We still have a little food in our box so we aren't quite as bad off yet. We have enough for a very few days (4 maybe) and then we'll be ati . No sign of ship yet, anywhere.

Saturday, December 3, 1938
One more day slipped by. Really I can hardly believe it has been seven months today that I left home. I can't seem to get anything done, and I'm afraid my Mission is going too fast. It just doesn't seem possible that time goes so fast even though we are barely existing from day to day, waiting for that long overdue ship.

Today Elder Asay and I and three girls began "fall" cleaning of the Churchhouse. P. & I climbed the belfry and hung the bell... it has been inland and was just delivered back. We then washed and shined the windows, scrubbed the cement floor completely over, wiped benches, woodwork, etc. Tomorrow we hold our first meeting here with all the people home from diving. Last Sunday there were only a few ladies. Now all but a few have returned.

P. is going in the hole. He owes me two ice-cream cones (imagine us betting ice-cream, way out here.) now because of no ship; and I think I'll have another soon on account I bet him a ship would come from the West before one from the North. Shucks! We're still in the best humor ever. Even my faraoa ipos  turned out swell today. The Lord will provide. (These people are hard up, though.)

O vau e te hoe utuafare au roa ia'u. O Terahoa, Terai, Marama
e Teahu Tearikimaitaifano. 
Hikueru, Dec. 1938 in front of Elder's home.

Sunday, December 4, 1938
One more Sunday just about over in Hikueru. Mtgs have all been good. The atmosphere and spirit was just right in our clean little chapel this morning.

Fast Sunday, and It wasn't a bit unusual to go without food. I reckon we'll get used to it sooner or later. I spoke again in Test. Mtg. Each time I get less nervous about using new phrases of the language. Still very uncertain though.

Was assigned the Haapiiraa  for Wednesday night providing we're still here. I bet we are too.

11:00 P.M. We will be here, and for at least almost two weeks! Just after meeting tonight Elder Asay and I stood talking about our chances of getting in by the 25th. Then the old cry "Tero " came, and we acted like a couple of kids. We grab our hats, I guess we were afraid of getting moonstruck, and hurried to the shore. We could see lights of the Gisborne  and also the Ruahatu  she is pulling in.

The Chink, like the rest of us, is pretty hard-up for food so he built a big fire and tried to signal it in. We came back to the house, talked about what we needed to do to get ready, and then I returned to see if it was closer. A light way out on the horizon was all I could see. The Chink I met returning. He said "Ua reva roa ", so now we are ati . Kinda disappointed too. The gnawing in my stomach is growing stronger!

Monday, December 5, 1938
Now the days are beginning to progress along another stretch. Will I ever be glad when we can feel at ease and know that we can expect no change. Just something definite for a change would make a world of difference with me. I haven't been able to settle down since coming to Hikueru without something on my mind. Every ship we have expected to go to Marokau but we never know what is to happen.

I learned words from my dictionary today all morning, did the meal preparing which is quite a problem, due to Elder Asay's big sickness in Hao, which makes things worse, and took a walk by myself. E. Asay has to use his enema quite often. I'm certainly glad my health is as good as ever, and don't have to be fussy.

During my walk I met Huri, Kuranui, Tekotaha, etc. and had some nice practice talking. Seems I can get by. K. Gave me four pape haaris  and a big fish already boiled so that will supply our breakfast in the morning.

A big scrap on down the street; I guess someone is kinda breaking under the strain. It's a wonder there isn't more quarreling than there is.

Tonight under the big moon I plunked away at my guitar which is about forgotten. I still hit off a tune or two that Mapuhi (aue!  Mapuhi iti e! ) taught me in Takaroa. Tirara .

Tuesday, December 6, 1938
Finished copying the work I have been doing for the past few days. Very glad that is done. During the rest of the day we mixed a little swim in the lagoon, frolic on the beach and study to pass the day. I learned the Tahitian Baptism prayer, confirmation, and ordination. I'm going to try to get all learned this week or so. Along with reading my Tahitian B. of M., preparing a haapiiraa  for Wednesday and studying my Dictionary, I reckon I can sleep with plenty of Tahitian on my mind tonight.

For food today we ate fish cooked on rocks and two pape haaris .

Wednesday, December 7, 1938
Happy days are here again! Tonight and all day today we have been filling our stomachs. Talk about ever breaking the Word of Wisdom! No, the ship didn't arrive bringing food but I guess an "angel" did. This morning I was up first (at 5:30 A.M.) and went after a can of water. While I was gone a fellow poked his head into the bedroom, and awakened Elder Asay by saying, "Fariu te tunu nei i te maa no orua! " So for breakfast we were invited out.

For food we ate farai panis , cocoa, and beef, fried. That was a good starter. Then we returned to the house and proceeded to read. Manava then brought us each the biggest pape haari  I have ever seen. Mine held 7 cups of water. All this I drank at one sitting. Whew!

About three o'clock I began fixing dinner. I opened a can of salmon, tried two faraoa ipos  with salmon in... they weren't so hot without salt so I ate them and just served the can of salmon. We no sooner finished that than Tapetu brought over five "inais " for us... which we ate. During that snack, here came Fariu's man saying "Come and eat again." So we went out for supper.

Imagine our surprise to see a table set with farai panis , pork & beans, salmon, inais , cocoa, jam, and a can of fresh vis . Well, you can imagine how we ate. Even the food we left she insisted on us taking home with us. We surely left our blessings with that woman.

Really I didn't know there was that much food on the Island. They surely must have foresaw this food shortage coming. We walk down the street and on all sides see the people eating coconut... some must have all the food and she surely treated us.

I'm full! I bet I won't sleep. My weight today... just after Manava's pape  haari  said 76 kilos. Going up.

I led the lesson tonight in the Haapiiraa . Easily done.

Thursday, December 8, 1938
Not very much doing these days. Everyone is too hungry to be sociable. We take a walk now and then for exercise but everywhere we go we see just what natives are living on and how. Lots of news spread each day that a "wire" was received saying a boat is on the way, but everyone has turned out to be a lot of hooey.

Shucks! We certainly are being blessed. Something turns up every day to keep us supplied with food. Our grub-box though it has been practically out for two weeks still has a can of beef, jam and beans. Besides that we have a few split peas and one more serving of beans. As far as a good meal goes there is enough for just one, but we can make it last for at least four days yet. An old woman who has been down here all the time without going inland seems to have had some flour laid away. She gave us a big pan full, which helps very much. The Lord will provide.

Tonight Teahu and Terahoa came over and spent the evening with us. It is the first time we have had anyone in the house to visit at night for weeks. Seemed good. She played my guitar and we all had a good time. Went to bed about ten o'clock instead of eight and nine as usual.

Saturday, December 10, 1938
Have spent most of the day with people today. All morning P. was gone so I got in a little study, then in the afternoon I pulled out and was gone until dark.

Visited with Huri, Kuranui, Punua, and Teahu. The first three had just returned from a fishing trip and had a hundred or so. Of course they gave me our share.

Tonight Hoga and Ana came again. Hoga went to sleep on the box after I had doctored his tooth and talked awhile. I finally went in the bed and left Pereti with Ana. An hour or so later he came to bed saying, "I asked them three times to leave but they slept on. That's Hikueru... Marokau... for you.

 Hikueru church
Hikueru church, fare putuputuraa, and the Missionaries' home. This home was shipped
out from Tahiti, all measured out and ready to put together. The fellow that owns it is
a Reorganite, but as soon as he built it he turned it over to the Missionaries. December 1938.

Sunday, December 11, 1938
And another Sabbath came and gone. The four meetings, a walk down the Island, dinner at Farius again, and a visit at Huri's & Teahu's used up the day.

I made a swell pan of ipos  and cocoa with coconut cream in made a good meal. Then after we were filled word from Fariu came so two hours later we were eating again. Once again we are very, very satisfied. It seems when we get hungry food is found.

Tonight before retiring we took our exercises and gave each other a good rub-down. We're surely trying to keep our bodies in good condition so we can "take" what we have to. The food we eat couldn't possibly be good for our bodies.

Monday, December 12, 1938
Today we got down to a real coconut meal. We cooked a big pot of utos  in pape  haari . The result was quite a sweet pudding, something like bread pudding. Along with that our ipos  consisted of half coconut and flour. Our cream for the pudding was hinu haari . So with that attempt at a native meal, we'll see how we'll live. The worst of it is... we have flour left for one meal.

A frolic on the beach and a swim helped keep us exercised for today.

Most of the day I spent in reading my Tahitian Book of Mormon. I can read now and get the high points swell. Also I wrote a little more on my letters home.

Tonight we had a rush call to Punua's house. His wife had a bad case of ma'i vahine . A good hot dose of ginger seemed to quiet her.

Now for a trade of rub-downs and to sleep we go.

Tuesday, December 13, 1938
One more day gone speedily by, and I feel that nothing has been accomplished. I had the cooking to do, and the one who has that might just as well devote his whole day to it. For breakfast I warmed over Pereti's beans from yesterday's dinner, and cooked two ipos  apiece. For dinner we had pea soup with our last can of beef. Along with lots of water, there is enough to eat breakfast tomorrow.

I helped Koga tie his spear today and then as we took a walk to see the sick woman of last night we took turns throwing at coconuts.

As we arrived at the house, Maruna was alright, but we found another case. The old lady staying in their house had an eye all swollen shut. I took the half mile walk back to the house to get my boric crystals and cotton and argyrol. Then upon returning to the house again, I heated some water (P., meanwhile, was just sitting "asking" for a souvenir or two from Muruna.) After the water was hot I went to work. After repeated hot packs & eye wash, the swelling went down. The old lady was very grateful. I was glad to help out.

The remainder of the day I have been reading. Soon be through with Alma in Tahitian Book of Mormon.

Wednesday, December 14, 1938
After a breakfast which Pereti prepared of mao'a  and uru  and coconut oil, I took a walk in the rain to my patient's house to see how her eye was. It was still bad but better than yesterday. I soaked and washed it again in diluted argyrol. Hope it soon gets better.

It took P. from 3:00 P.M. until after dark to prepare a supper of fish cooked on rocks for us. Meanwhile I finished reading Alma which constituted about 30 pages of reading today. I also took a walk for exercise.

Tonight Tamariki gave the lesson, but for some reason, probably due to his quarrel last Sunday with Naia, he only had a few people out. These people of Hikueru are surely "fair weather" Saints.

Coldest night we have yet had. It thundered and lightninged and poured sheets of rain all night. This little old frame house shook plenty on its foundation.

Thursday, December 15, 1938
For breakfast I warmed over the left-over uru  from last night. I took a walk and "bummed" some salt from Maihara. She also gave me a bowl of sugar.

After breakfast Pereti began preparing a Haapiiraa  for Relief Society. He gave it up and I'll be darned if he didn't tell me to take it. After I accepted, he went away. After a half-hour's work on it, I could easily see why he gave it up. I prepared a few questions and then I got stuck. I waited until he came back and then between the two of us we thrashed it out.

This morning just before Primary I went down to see the old lady with a sore eye. Once again I doctored it and then came back to Primary... Kinda late.

The dinner we ate today was rather delayed. The beans were all done, everything was ready to be eaten, and as I lifted the pot off the fire with a stick, the blooming thing broke; our beans spread all over the ground. Undaunted and hungry for beans... oh yeah... I put another pot on, the last of the beans. We had to wait until after Relief Society to eat.

Tonight I feel rather sick. For cream we have to use the grated coconut juice, and I guess I got too much of it. I drank about four cups of cocoa, each having a lot of rich oil in it. The result... my body hasn't been able to take care of it. Try as hard as I would I can't purge yet I'd like to. I hope I can sleep it off tonight.

After I finished writing this, Nohori sent his Kie to get us to go to the radio. It surely seemed good to listen again.

Friday, December 16, 1938
All well and better today. In fact I played football for awhile until we ran up ten touchdowns and then the other side wouldn't faatia  my playing. Good naturedly they kicked me off, so I good naturedly gave my place to someone else. (The opposite side ran up 2 before they quit; we still won.)

The old lady's eye is just about healed. Another visit today just about fixed it up. Manava got bit by a fish, doing the same thing we were doing a few days ago... getting mao'as . Her finger is kind of cut up. That got doctored also.

I surely filled on pape  haaris  today. Tonight we went to listen to the radio. Haumani faahou. 

Saturday, December 17, 1938
What little time I've spent at the house today hasn't amounted to anything except the two meals I prepared Fish and peas both times.

I visited the old lady with medicine but it wasn't necessary; she is all right. Next I visited Hoga, then Teahu, etc.

This afternoon; I spent most of it with Mahinui. Ua horoahia mai ia'u i te mau mea, e aore râ aihere.

A cry of "tero " put everyone down to the shore, but it turned out that Maihara had opened up again.


Teahu gave me a fish-hook made from parau  today. In return I gave him some eye medicine; we surely trade Tao'a aroha .

Try these recipes: a bowl of flour, baking powder and water... ipo . Cocoa... hot water, sugar & cocoa. Maybe coconut "cream". Make a full pan of bean gravy, pea gravy, corn gravy, etc. out of one can of each. And last; wait for a ship on an empty stomach.

I'm sleepy! A few minutes after 8:00 P.M. and I'm "no good".

Sunday, December 18, 1938
One more big Sunday passed, and I so hungry tonight I doubt if I'll sleep good. For food today the Chink loosened up and sold us a can of beef, pears and sauce. That along with kaipoas  and pape haaris  is all we've had in all day. We thought sure a ship would be in today, I even got up this morning at 4:00 A.M. to go see it. I guess that's why the Chink sold us that. (Cost 17 F)

Meetings were all right today. In fact I was assigned a talk in Priesthood and gave it in Sac. It was on the question Dad asked... Saul of Tarsus etc.

Visited Teahu ma , etc. The old lady and her son both came to Church today, as she said she would. I'm Hungry!

Monday, December 19, 1938
We went after our own food today. These natives have proven false when it comes to a showdown. I guess they all expect the other one to supply us with fish. However we are still able ourselves. Both in good health and Spirits. We are indeed being watched over.

We obtained a basketfull of mao'as  off the reef and brought them back. They were cooked in the "milk" or "hinu " squeezed from grated coconut. Along with that and a breadfruit we had food for the day.

While we were eating "Tero " was sounded, but after a few happy moments, we found out it was another haavare .

During the afternoon... an hour before sundown... we went for a swim and then played a little football with the boys... men.

Went to the radio tonight and gave out news as it was broadcast. Seems odd to hear how cold Europe is. Hmm... I could use a little cold myself. I still like to listen to music; that hour spent at the radio is worth a lot. Well, I'll close again, hungry.

Tuesday, December 20, 1938
Once again a false "Tero " was hollered. These people surely have a "raw" sense of humor, making everyone run to the wharf to see... nothing. I'm tired of going. No more for me until I know there's really a ship.

Teahu gave us a can of beef last night so we had food for today by mixing water with it into soup. Very filling along with coconuts.

Translated about 17 pages of Tahitian Book of Mormon today but went to sleep doing it. Slept for an hour. First time I've slept sound in the afternoon for ages.

Went to radio again tonight. All this talk on Christmas isn't so good on two lonely, hungry Elders. We can take it with a good smile though. We enjoy it.

For some reason or other I'm stiff all over tonight. Legs, stomach muscles, back, etc. feel sore. Hope it's from exercise only. I would hate to get sick at this stage of the game.

Wednesday, December 21, 1938
We spent about two hours this morning hunting breakfast of mao'as . We than returned to the house, cooked an uru , fried the mao'as  after grinding them up and mixing grated coconut with them. Tapeata brought us over two chicken eggs and some pig grease to fry them in.

after breakfast (11:00 A.M.) I read until I got sleepy. Then Kehauri brought us over some uru  mixed up with coconut milk and also four little fish. Food good enough for asking... if he's hungry enough.

A habit, I guess, this "tero " business. Every time turns out to be a haavare . We didn't "bite" either time today. Darn hard on a guy's nerves though.

P. has been in kind of a grouch all day; I hope he doesn't break. He's plenty homesick with Xmas coming on now. I kinda sympathize with him, but shucks; what can we do about it?

Tonight Kehauri led a very dry Haapiiraa . I'm glad he made it short... everyone was going to sleep.

Our persistent night-hawks just dropped in again, put their kid in the bedroom, asleep, and now I bet I go to bed before they ever get to sleep on our boxes. It means they will stick around until midnight. Oh me! Such is life around Hoga and Ana. Hoga is O.K. but Ana.

 The Governor
Nohorai â Sue, Tavana e au na mua a'e i To maua o Pereti revaraa. To te Tavana Fare.
This is the Governor and his home in Hikueru.. The place we stayed while he was inland.
This was taken just before we left.
 The Gisborne
Te revaraa no Hikueru mai. The Gisborne off the reef at Hikueru as we are saying
"Ia ora na " to our friends there. We sailed from here the 24th of December 1938.

Thursday, December 22, 1938
I know now how a fellow feels when his ship doesn't come in. I suppose we will pass Christmas with no food, no mail, only our own spirits. I'm glad we are keeping up fairly good. We get off a joke now and then such as Pereti pulled today in Relief Society. He said that when we are in a resurrected state e mea huru ê rii to tautu mau tino... hôe â huru i te mau animala . He realized his mistake when the women objected. They & I laughed, and he surely blushed. First I've seen him do that.

Primary this morning was O.K. too 'cause when it was over all the kids cleaned up the Church house yard and surely cleaned our place.

Manava & I sat and undid some hemstitching while the rest were at work. She talked more than I've ever heard the bashful gal before.

Hoga brought us each a shark back-bone & also a set of jaws apiece. We cleaned those up.

Tapi cooked us an uru  "poi " again today. That and fish constituted our meal.

We went to see a sick baby tonight. After the visit we just got back as the rain started. It rained pretty hard for awhile. Haoti . Oh yes! Later on Hoga & Ana came to sleep again. This time Ana got quite rather hauti ; I hit her hand very hard. She's dangerous.

Friday, December 23, 1938
We were awakened at 2:10 A.M. this morning by "Tero ". We didn't believe it so we went back to sleep. At 4:30 a fellow poked his head in the window and said ship was off-shore. We arose, dressed and went to see it.

When it landed received all the mail that came... one letter from Elder Stevens. Ship is returning tomorrow, much to everyone's surprise, and we are going on it. Goodness! What a surprise!

The rest of the day we spent preparing and getting last minute details straight, visiting, etc. Old Teipo (sore eye) gave me a little basket she had woven as Ta'u aroha , also three stones, that with sentiment attached made them worthwhile.

At night Manava, Tekuna, the sleepers & children, Teahu ma  came to spend the evening. We all sang, talked and had a good time. We sent them home at 10:00 P.M.

Saturday, December 24, 1938
Morning was spent in getting ready to leave Hikueru. We bought a can of grapes, beef and made some ipos  and called that our Xmas dinner as we won't feel like eating tomorrow. Then at 3:00 P.M. we boarded ship, after saying "goodbye" to our many friends in Hikueru.

Due to anchor trouble we didn't get away until after dark; the chain holding the anchor broke. Kaitoa .

+ + + +

Rutena Home Page

Next Island: Tahaa and Raiatea

Rutena in Tahiti | Takaroa | Niau | Hikueru | Tahaa and Raiatea | Huahine | Anaa | Marokau | Hikueru again | Papeete

msn spaces graphics  Dell Computer

© 2012 Allred Family