The Missionary Journal of O. Rudeen Allred (Rutena)
L.D.S. Missionary, Tahitian Mission


Monday, April 10, 1939
This morning we left Naihonu to go to Tahiri's. Fanau and Nini insisted on going with us and showing us the trail; Fanau carried a basketful of vis , pape haari , and oranges for food along the way. We walked to the mtns. but didn't deliver any tracts. Then we slithered over the mountain. When I started out I had on white shoes. At the other end of the climb, they were nothing but red clay. Rain made it quite miserable. How glad we were for the guidance Fanau ma  gave us. We arrived at Tahiri's house at noon. I never saw a family quite so tickled to see anyone before. Nini is a relative of Tetuas's and they were happy to meet. After dinner Nini and Fanau started on their walk back, after making us promise to come back to their house Friday and stay again. Gee, they're swell.

 Elder Dean Haslem
Elder Dean Haslem, "Teina".
My first junior companion, a swell guy.

Tuesday, April 11, 1939
Surely fought mosquitoes during the night regardless of a net. This morning Tahiri, Elder Haslem, and I went across to Huahine Nainai and met quite a few people and delivered tracts. With him it's a little different than when we go alone. He stops and talks at each house for quite awhile because he knows the people. Therefore we didn't cover all the ground we expected. One 3 yr. ve'a  and 29 tracts is the way my report reads. Just after getting up this morning Tahiri took us all around his vanila farm. He surely has lots of it. Very interesting, the pollenization. We have been discussing Israel all the evening.

Wednesday, April 12, 1939
Across the lagoon today on a vaa  and a hike over the mountain. before we started tracting. There we saw the largest city outside of Uturoa that we have seen. We entered the town, and as Tahiri is well known by them, we were welcomed on every side. One place there were about 13 men working on a niau  roof of a new house. They all stopped their work, and invited us in; we gave tracts and sat and talked awhile. After a couple of hours we prepared to leave, but as we were about to go, they said stay seated, so we did. Soon a fellow brought a big bunch of banana leaves and spread them, table-cloth form, upon the floor of the shack. Then he brought bowls, two big dish-pans full of uru , bundles of fish roasted on rocks in niau , and a young (dirty) vaa  full of uru po'i . These were all spread out upon the leaves, just taken handful at a time and scattered. Then came the miti hue. Aue!  Nothing more than sour omoto  and water left for a few days to curdle. Sure! we wanted some, and we got it. As much as we wanted to sit on the floor and eat native style, they wouldn't let us. We had a special (town) table brought for us, table cloth, forks and knives, canned beef (Imagine! such a treat as canned beef) bread, uru, poe , fish. (We didn't touch the beef or bread... ate only as the natives. They thought we were Adventists) Oh! but I'd give anything for a sound picture of that dinner. Wow!!!

After dinner we continued with tracting, meeting all the people in the whole town. The Prot. Deacon was quite a queer, nice old fellow. The Governor a practical joker, but ornery... he spoke Chink Tahitian to me until Tahiri bawled him out quietly. Even the fat woman, at the public water hole, taking a bath without a thread on her, and all the people walking by and thinking nothing of it, was a good laugh. This is quite the country. Anyway our day got us four ve'a  subs, 40 tracts delivered apiece and a good acquaintance built up. Tahiri wants to build a Church-house; I'm surely behind him.

At nite, Tahiri and I sat talking over incidents and just talking until bed-time.

Thursday, April 13, 1939
Today we took things easy, letting the kids get in our hair. During the day, Tahiri Vahine cooked some uru poe  that took the cake as far as anything I have yet eaten in that line. After supper we sat at the table doing tricks; making a needle float, counting how many years old a person is by a hair and ring. A good trick, but the best of it is, how is it done?

Friday, April 14, 1939
We arose this morning at six and prepared to leave for Fare. We paddled Tahiri's vaa  (with him in) over to Haaupu. When we arrived there, it was just in time to be informed the boat had left and would be back later. No trouble so we went to the Deacon's house and spent the day, having a big tamaaraa  thrown for us. Played with the hair trick again after dinner. At 4:15 we left for the city and had half the town there to see us off. Even sold the old Deacon a ve'a  sub. He's sure a laugh, but I'll bet he was once good. I saw a rock that the natives say he threw off the trail. A horse, I don't believe, could drag it that far. He told us his experiences as a wrestler and how he got his arm broke. I was afraid he was going to get himself in such a knot he couldn't untie himself. Laugh, whew! Who says life "ain't grand". From there we came to the city where we were met by Fanau and Nini again. They expressed their mauruuru  because we returned, and then got a truck and took us home. They were in town for the cínema and wanted us to go with them, but we had work to do so we declined. Just before Nini left she said there was mail for us for which we were glad. We received plenty of old tracts, works of encouragement from Uela and Ioane, and also word that if we were to get mail to the States it would have to catch tomorrow's Potii . We sat up until they returned from the show writing letters to Bobby, Mother, Pres., LeMoyne, Ioane and Uela. Kept us busy.

Saturday, April 15, 1939
Finished our letter writing and got our package ready to send on Poti . She came in soon after so we walked down to mail it. While in town we met our English friend from Raiatea and Jimmy. After assisting them a bit, we returned to the house. Once again here we studied and mused the time away until near bed-time. Then after everyone had retired, we walked out in our pyjamas and lay on the sandy beach, listening to the waves roll in. Teina is a very pleasant guy to talk with... just opposite than Uela. He always agrees it's easier to agree than argue.

Sunday, April 16, 1939
One more Sunday just about over, passed quickly and peacefully. I have been able to straighten out a few thoughts that have been bothering me lately on scriptures. We have been alone most of the day except when the girls have come to cook the three meals for today. Tonight we had a chicken again. Teina and I also showed our ability to eat bananas. Got stuck on Incarnation, but succeeded in finding Israel.

Monday, April 17, 1939
Another day happily passed even thought we are tied up for want of tracts and can't do a thing until they come this Wednesday. But today we busied ourselves by a little ball playing, lots of study and in the afternoon, a walk along the breakers hunting mao'as ; we found sixteen. Sure scarce.

In the evening we talked quite late with Fanau and Nini, Sarah, and after they left, we went to bed.

Tuesday, April 18, 1939
Yesterday I talked Fanau into letting us work with him today, so all morning we were busy, honestly working. Fanau would pull the nuts and Elder Haslem and I gathered. Something new and we found pleasure in it. Elder Haslem and I each drank seven big pape haari  and were given a big nut apiece. Mine holds eight and better than a half glasses of water. In the afternoon we went out on the reef again. Everyone has gone to the show again so we are alone. I guess I'll write in my little diary; catch up from Feb.

 Rutena and Teina
Rutena and Teina in Huahine

Wednesday, April 19, 1939
Well, here I am just five days behind in this book. Elder Haslem and I just returned from another venture over on the other side. Beginning back to the day we left, the story goes: First thing in the morning was to get ready for a week's stay in Maroe. We prepared our tracts and clothes, etc. and went to town. (Yes, to town, 'cause a ship was coming and we wanted mail before leaving.) A wooden box plastered with stamps and full of tracts was one object we received besides a letter I got from Mother and one from Naomi. Mother was sending $10 for remittance and Nane $5 for a help-out. Surely swell. Even the news was good... no bad news, anyway. Then we sat and talked to Jimmy and Andy until our boat left. From the city we went to Haapu and then the boat driver brought us back to Maroe. Imagine our surprise when he said five dollars for the lift! We payed but were the suckers. Tahiri picked us up in his vaa , and from then until bed-time we were busy talking and planning.

April 20. On with the story: We three left this morning for the districts on the other side of H. Nainai. We rowed all the way around in Tahiri's vaa , giving tracts as we went. Haslem and I would walk from one end of town to another and Tahiri would row, then he would pick us up at the other end. The trip took us eight hours. We were able to move much faster than when he is walking with us. Nothing of much interest happened except for meeting the Protestant Minister. I just about sold him a ve'a area râ, te tiai rii nei matou... araua'e paha.  We ate breakfast early and traveled all day with no dinner. Pretty hungry when we did eat. At any rate, I am (was) pretty well colored from the sun and surely tired around the shoulder muscles. Good exercise, by cracky. Nary a ve'a  sub this trip; later perhaps.

April 21. Busy once again. This time it was over the hill to Haapu. There we burst right in on a vanila sale. That made it swell. We passed in and out of the crowd giving tracts and writing up two ve'a  subs. When we were through, Tahiri said, "If any of you have any questions upon any of these tracts or those you received last week, ask them to us. We are bound to get a few investigators over there soon. After spending an hour with the Deacon, we returned home. The rest of the day was just about the usual thing.

April 22. Today we just lay around studying, talking, playing with the kids, and hating ourselves. Some fun. At night Tahiri told me the story of a woman in Taega going underground to a new world. Surely weird.

Teina, Tetua, Me, Tahiri, and Kids in Maroe, Huahine. The only Saints on the Island.

April 23. A big surprise today and it was very pleasant. We held three meetings and though there were only Tahiri family and Teina and I there, we surely enjoyed the Spirit of meetings. The "count" reads: Minutes of meetings held in Huahine by Elders Allred and Haslem. April 23, 1939. Haapiiraa Autahiiaraa - Himene matamua: na Tahiri. Pure matamua - na Tahiri a Torihi. Na Rutena i faatere te Haapiiraa. Na Rutena i aratai. Himene pitina Rutena. Himene toru - na Teina. Pure hopea - na Rutena. Te taio: Hitu ahuru - 2 Peretibutero 1 Tamarii 2.  Whew! and that's one. Next.. Pureraa Oro'a. Himene matamua: na Tetua. Pure matamua - na Tahiri. Pure note Pape - na Rutena. A'oraa matamua.. na Rutena, Oro. Te A'oraa piti - na Tahiri. Himene hopea - na Tetua. Pure Hopea - na Teina, Oro.  And that's the second. The third: Haapiiraa feia Api. Himene Matamua -- Na Tetua e Aratai. Pure matamua - na Tahiri. Himene pito - na Tetua. Na Rutena i Faatere. Na Teina i aratai. Parau Tumu - Tuatapaparaa No te Ekalesia. Himene Kitara, Hjimene tarara, e himene tamarii. Himene Hopea - Na Tahire. Pure Hopea - Na Rutena.  And boy! It seemed like a big day. We were all satisfied and I'm sure the meetings were a great benefit to us.

Monday, April 24, 1939
And here we are back home again after making a trip over the mountain this morning, tracting as we came. We each gave 36 tracts and wrote up a ve'a  apiece. One of them was for Raiatea. The people in Haavai are much better than I thought they were. We were received very nicely. Of course we feel a good cold wave once in a while, and other times we can't go to a house due to a "southern exposure" but all in all it's surely an interesting work.

Our home & friends in fare Huahine. Tetua (Hyrum) â Mervin

When we returned home, Mr. Mervin (who came in last Wednesday) greeted us kindly, said the house was turned over to us, had a woman prepare dinner for us, and... gee, I can't thank these people enough. I only hope we may show our appreciation to them. During the evening we all sat listening to his new phonograph. Blue Hawaii, etc.

Tuesday, April 25, 1939
This morning we left for Maiva with our pockets full of tracts and old ve'as . Our first trip out this way so we had no idea what it was like. When it was all over, we had been gone four hours, distributed 57 and 56 tracts apiece respectively, met a vanilla sale where I got in a good discussion telling all the people where we're from, what we're here for, and good of the tracts. The road was fairly good all the way except for a little mud. Only one house refused to take our tracts. This evening we went to the theatre with the Mervin family. Due to our being acquainted with the operator, all we had to do was walk in. We went into the operating room while Mr. Sonny showed us just how he handled the projector. The show was filmed in 1926, a wild "horse opera", and a Mutt & Jeff comedy. Shucks! These old silent reels seem funny.

Wednesday, April 26, 1939
The ship Hiro  was seen just outside our window this morning before we ever got up. As soon as Mr. Mervin saw it, we were all up and getting ready to go to the wharf. He soon had his car out so we got in... all but Elder Haslem. He had to shave so we went without him. We arrived at the dock just as she pulled in. I stayed around until the mutoi  gave me a letter from Pres., and long enough to speak to Robert and find out his little girl is getting better, talk to three traveling Canadians, and a Charley Brown. Then Roberre and I walked back to the house.

Word from Pres. with news of Pres. Hardy, two new Elders, and that we are still to come in and relax the last of May, was welcome. But the news of Tubuai wasn't so hot.

The remainder of the day was the usual thing. In the evening we sat out on the sand watching the moon.

Thursday, April 27, 1939
Early this morning Teina and I went to town, bought some soap, paint, and a brush for our "ticket" into te utuafare o Tahiri ma i teie hebedoma.  The paint for his Philotophia o te Ora  and the soap for our clothes.

I washed out a pair of garments, darned the holes, took a shower, and read away the rest of the day. In the evening we were shown three $20 gold pieces and 5 $5 pieces by Mr. Mervin. Also his Waltham watch, etc. Later on, we went out on the beach and sat in the moonlight again.

Friday, April 28, 1939
Now the task begins: today is really May 4, and I have my brain to rake to glean any points of interest that might have happened during the past week. Early in the morning we packed up with a valise and tracts and turned southward (???). (I might add, on the way through town I bought some (tooth-powder), with nothing but chink written on it.) We tracted from Fare to the city of Haavai, each giving 42 tracts and I sold 3 ve'a  subs. From there over the mountain to home in Maroe. Just for a few highlight after we arrived there... we had rice and fish for supper, gave Tahiri a Book of Mormon, which brought tears to his eyes. (I didn't think he was quite so appreciative.) In the evening we talked (I guess).

 Waterfall  Shower
Waterfall A swell shower

Saturday, April 29, 1939
This morning, off on another short tracting walk into the south side of Maroe. As far as the tracting side went, the trip was a waste of time, only 10 tracts apiece, but we gathered a number of red seeds for heis , and climbed over an unbroken trail until we arrived at a waterfall on top of the hill. The climb through the waist-high ferns and brush was very stiff, but the sight of the fall when we arrived under it was worth the climb. We took pictures, and also stripped off and took a swell shower under the falls. Upon returning to the house we put in our regular study and Gospel discussion period.

Sunday, April 30, 1939
The last Sunday in April and it was a big one. Priesthood meeting, Sunday School, Sacrament and Heia Api . The people from on top of the hill came to three of our meetings. Tahiri and I handled all the meetings and did all the talking. Elder Haslem isn't able to do a thing yet so it keeps me very busy. The minutes of such a meeting are rather lopsided. Just the same, we all enjoy the Spirit that attends, and I'm sure we are all just that much benefited for our attempts. Announced another service for next week.

Monday, May 1, 1939
Off this morning on a "hike". We hiked around the Island of Huahine nainai. This trip however isn't like a hike may be in U.S. To begin the day, we packed our pockets full of tracts, and Viriamu rowed us to the starting point of Maroe. We hadn't been walking five minutes before Elder Haslem stepped on a slick log over a water outlet. When he emerged from the water I was having a good series of laughs. Gee, he was almost as comical as Uela. (Much better sport about it.) He got it back on me a few minutes later when I attempted to broad-jump a mud-hole. I cleared the distance all right, but how come I didn't see that slick spot on the other side. It must have saw me coming. Oh well! Such is life in the far far south.

Going on now... Tefarerii (I always want to say Te fare iti ) was much better this time. A few of the cold waves we passed through last week had cooled off. Boy, did I enjoy talking to the ex. Protestant Minister. He has had a big quarrel with the Oremetua Porotetani , and he was very much interested in what I had to say about a good church. We have a special invite for next week now. Anyway, the damages when we finally returned to the house in Maroe reads 180 tracts, 4 ve'a , 10 hours tracting. We were surely saved by a fellow in Haapu from making a long walk longer. A call from the top of the mountain brought Tahiri after us.

Tuesday, May 2, 1939
Back to Haapu early this morning on a three hour tracting trip. We met the whole population once again and got in a good discussion here and there. They are quite a friendly bunch. The Gov. is certainly squelched lately. 39 tracts apiece was our deliverance today. Back home once again we devoted a bit of time to study... of Tahitian mostly.

Teie ohipa, i paranhia, pana opaa.  Removing the coconut from the husks.
Also native dress while at work. Pareue cloth for dresses.

Wednesday, May 3, 1939
Over into Maroe district early this morning and we caught that district with tracts. Back again to T's long enough to say "Ia ora " and off again over the mountain to Haavai and a good four hours tracting to home. Today I got in a good Gospel conversation with a nice couple. I gave them my conception of a passage, and then when I got home I followed it up and found I was off a little. I can fix it up next time we meet. Upon arriving home in Vaihonu we found an American couple had moved in with us. They are quite the people. We enjoyed the evening together talking, showing pictures, etc. The girl is a typical American girl, pretty as a blonde can be, full of life, wise cracks, and can take a joke. (She's the type I would like to meet as a non-Missionary.) Age 23, I would say. Some of her ways are quite "taking". The fellow is quiet, easy-going, and interesting to talk to. They are from N.Y. and have traveled plenty. Very well-to-do I would say. I really enjoyed their company.

Thursday, May 4, 1939
The first thing this morning Elder Haslem and I took Mr & Mrs Pilston over to Haavai and up the mountain to show them Maroe. From there we returned to Haavai where I met the couple of yesterday's Gospel conversation, and we got straightened up on that passage. Ua maururu rana ia maua no te reira. 

Following dinner at Mervin's we started out again tracting, this time for Maiva. When all was finished and we were back home our report showed 3 hours tracting and 45 tracts apiece. On the way home I wrote out a ve'a  for Teina.

This evening we called on Nini and Fanau for a few moments. She tried to give me a pretty circle of shells, but I could not accept them. Returning from there, Teina and I had quite a discussion on different points before going to bed.

Friday, May 5, 1939
Up bright and early again and catching up on time sheets, accounts, diary, etc. and getting a letter off to Ioane, Oro.  ordering a few tracts, the correct time, and sending in a film. After that was all done, Elder Haslem and I walked over to Nini's and watched and helped Fanau make us some diving glasses out of wood; we got a good start. From their place we all went to town to see both ships come in on their way to Papeete. We surely spent an enjoyable afternoon with our two friends from N.Y. while they were waiting to leave. Also we met a niece of Pres. Roosevelt's down here cruising around with her party. And then there was a Wolfgang from Mexico. Oh Boy!

After the ships left, we returned home, prepared for the theater and returned to town. Another half hour visit with the theatre man and then the show started. It was pretty good this time... Sherlock Holmes & Co. We retired around 11:00 P.M. Tired.

Saturday, May 6, 1939
Having just returned from one more trip to Maroe, I shall relate what took place. May 6 we left for the other side, walking instead of boat. We didn't tract Haavai this time so we weren't long in getting to Tahiri's. However we did tract the small district east of his place. Arriving there, we discussed parau api  etc. until evening. Then came the man from up on the hill. His "sleeper" had kicked him out and he and the baby came down to sleep with us. I really believe I have seen the worst thing a woman could do. The baby the man was carrying had a big gash on its arm where its mother had slashed it with a knife. As we were discussing that, Tahiri raised the kid's dress and showed us its back. Black and blue and scarred as bad as I've seen. Its face was black and blue, one eye black, and then to see a dozen or so inch black places where the kid's arm had been burned with fire-brands! What kind of Hell has that poor kid been through? Tetua's own sister and such opposites! Tetua cried and cried while she was looking (at) the little girl... so did the kid. Later Tahiri went up and told the she-devil that he was taking the kid to the Governor. The gal was pretty scared, due to the French law of five years, and she did some fast repenting. He left the child with the promise of no more whippings. What a life.

Sunday, May 7, 1939
Sunday again. I led the lesson for Priesthood meeting, we did away with S.S. and Tahiri & I spoke in Testimony meeting. Meeting again and night with Teina reading the lesson and me & Tahiri answering questions. I guess we are helped plenty by doing this.

Monday, May 8, 1939
Off in a wicked rainstorm to haaati  Huahine Nainai. We were wet before we had reached the other side of the lagoon, but we kept on. Over the mountain to Haapu, and we began tracting. From Haapu across or around to Tefarerii. There we met the ex-Protestant big-shot Minister. He fed us, bought a ve'a  for three years and discussed a few points. Gee, he's surely interested, it seems. We have a special invite to spend a night with him. On again and we landed home about five o'clock, having had a successful trip, missing all the rain but in the early stage, and not very tired. Supper was prepared when we got home. One more big day over and we are pleasingly tired.

Tuesday, May 9, 1939
Off again and this time from Tahiri's to the west side of Maroe for two hours tracting... 18 tracts apiece, one ve'a  written up, and once I almost lost my temper by the actions of a sneering group... whew! I surely had to keep my steam down, but ended by asking if they couldn't accept the truth when I offered it to them. If they couldn't, tirara ia , and we walked on. Oh! these poor, blind people! If they could only see we're not doing this wading mud, mud, slime, goo, and everything else just for our own good! Ui!  When will they see it????? Tei te Atua. 

The bunch all left for the show tonight so Teina and I were left alone. First we couldn't find any matches to light the lamp. By stirring up the coals in the stove, we got that lit. Then the blooming thing wouldn't work so we lit the wick lamp. Mosquitoes, ants, and moths got so thick I rushed through three chapters of Book of Mormon and to bed.

Wednesday, May 10, 1939
Just one year ago today since Elder Benson, McEntire and I sailed away from U.S.A. How different this past year has been, with its ups and downs, than any I have ever spent. Gee, it's really been great. I hope I can continually enjoy the Spirit I have thus far enjoyed in this work.

Today I was up at 5:30 A.M. Soon after, I saw the lights of Hiro  go by. Not long after that we went to town to see what was up. We obtained mail, such as: 1 Mother, 1 Fern, 1 Bobby, 1 Dona, 1 Mr Newman and Peterson, 1 Rei, 1 Mapuhi, 1 Heia and one from Uela in H.Q. Bro Newman sent me a check of $2, and a registered came from V. & Fanau again. I was very much disappointed at the news I received in Mapuhi ma  letters. Darn kid! I wish I were with him a little while. Later on a yacht came in and much to my surprise it turned out to be the same one I met in Takaroa a year ago almost. Elder Haslem and I went aboard for a few moments. The rest of the day I have spent in writing letters to Rei, Heia, Mapuhi and Uela to send on Potii  tomorrow.

I'm not sleepy but everyone is in bed so I better turn in myself; surely seems like a long time until morning though.

Thursday, May 11, 1939
For once Elder Haslem and I have put in a fairly good day of manual labor called paaro haari.  We surely each wore some blisters on our hands from the effort. However it was a change and something new so we rather enjoyed it.

This evening Sarah and I sat up quite late talking over this and that. She's quite the girl. Not much for beauty, but they don't come much better for good kids. She is a Saint all right.

Friday, May 12, 1939
Quite a variety of things have made this day go speedily by. During the morning we put in some good grammar study, and then tiring of that, we walked over to see Fanau ma.  An hour was spent with him as he was pulling nuts. I got in a good talk with him and found he is really a Mormon although lacking baptism into the Church. If only he were where there is a branch I'm sure (and so is he) that he would be in the work. He says there is a day when he and Nini will go to Papeete to live. Also, I found out Sarah isn't quite up to what I figured... she has her cigarette every once in awhile on the sly. I see where I made my mistake in giving her my garments the first time to wash; but it's odd... we haven't given her a pair since. We have washed our own when we have needed them here. Someone guides us always.

This afternoon I wrote me out a homecoming speech for when I land in Tahiti and also got a good way on translating Teina's Conference speech also to come the same week we get in.

This evening we went to the theater again; we're getting to be regular night-hawkers, but we're always in good company and Sonny's standing invitation for anytime we want a seat is still holding. The show was really good. About the lawyer, wife, etc.

Saturday, May 13, 1939
Out to Maeva this morning on a tracting trip. Most of the men we met along the road, but we gave our tracts to those who would accept (there's wisdom there) and sold 4 ve'a  to go with it (3 of them 3 year ones). We were gone four hours. Surely received the Compliments for the Church in the way the Mormons don't slander their Churches: It all helps.

After returning home we changed clothes and went to town. Imagine our pleasant surprise to see Tehena, Paata and Tehetu, the first persons we met. I'm certainly Glad she and Teura are back together again and heading for Makemo. The news she told of Robert's girl has surely gladdened us. The mother states, "as soon as she (the girl) reaches eight she will be baptized into the Church. And the best of all, Robert and his wife will soon have their marriage papers, which means they won't be long in coming in. Gee, that's good news!

Our little brewing trouble here was thrashed out tonight. Nini was in tears but her point was seen. We four listened to the phonograph until bed-time.

Sunday, May 14, 1939
This has been a very quiet peaceful Sunday. The people of the house have thought it very queer that we haven't eaten anything at all today, but we decided to have a special fast from last nite until tomorrow morning in behalf of Elder Chapman who is ill in Tahiti. We have devoted our time mostly to a quiet day of study. I wrote, however, a letter to Robert ma  and half finished one to Mother. I pray our efforts aren't in vain. Read Marcus King, Mormon  through again.

Monday, May 15, 1939
One more day closed, and we used it up practically by studying this and that and everything. I read II Kings in my Bible and got a good start on I Chronicles. My Conference speech has got me wondering.

Fanau finished our diving glasses today. They surely feel as though they'll fit swell. We will have to try them tomorrow. The "old sister" baked a swell bread pudding today. Wow! I didn't think it was in her but gee, it was really good.

Tuesday, May 16, 1939
After hunting a few topics I finally settled on one for my Conference speech. Then I wrote it out in English. All during this time the waves were coming in plenty big, making the reef plenty deep enough to swim on. We gave our glasses a good try, and they worked swell. The waves were plenty of sport except the few times they would go back suddenly and bounce us over the coral rock, but a little alcohol fixed all the cuts the rocks gave us. Some of them I couldn't reach bottom in as they piled up on shore. Surely a great sport.

During the late afternoon and evening I was busy translating my speech and what a job that is; it isn't finished yet. Retired at usual time about 9:00 P.M.

Wednesday, May 17, 1939
I arose before daylight this morning and about the time I was dressed we saw the Hiro  go by. Soon after, the Mervin family and I got in the truck and left for town. Teina had just got up so we didn't wait for him. Nothing in line of mail for us today so our plans were kinda knocked today. We are forced to wait over new until tomorrow with chance of receiving the book on the Potii  tomorrow. I surely hope Elder Hunting doesn't fail us. Today I finished translating my Conf. speech and also got a letter written to Dona and one started to Barbara. Tonight I learned a few number tricks from Fanau; he's surely a smart little fellow. A little after seven now and it won't be long before I'll be going to bed.

Thursday, May 18, 1939
Today no Potii ... no mail so we left for Maroe. We tracted the district of Haavai, selling two ve'a  subs and getting a couple of conversations. It was our last meeting in that city but not very many are sorry to see us leaving; they are a pretty hard nut to crack. Well, our work has been consistent anyway.

Friday, May 19, 1939
Off this morning to hit the last big day we will have on this Island. Our day consisted of nine hours tracting in which we distributed 107 tracts apiece (I distributed; Teina hasn't learned much of a speech yet... rather read the Bible as I used to do the first few months; He'll be sorry.)

We met it a little tough; quite a few refusals, Toarorii wasn't in so we didn't get our dinner or mid-day rest. Surely a couple of happy kids when night fell and we knew our work was done there. Teina climbed a little tree and threw down a couple of drinks at one stage today; we were really thirsty.

Saturday, May 20, 1939
Tahiri made a pretty strong pass that if I didn't get his Phylosophy painted, it never would get done, so with a can of black paint, a can of blue, a bottle of mercurochrome, and a "kid-played-with" brush, I began the painting. The result: six hours work, a very good job (me talking) and a big smile of satisfaction from Tahiri ma . No kidding, it really looked good. That was my share for tomorrow's lesson in Priesthood.

Sunday, May 21, 1939
Sunday with four big meetings. Tahiri led Priesthood with his chart as subject; he's surely proud of it. I took over Sunday School with a lesson on Te Atua . Tahiri, meanwhile had gone to see the Governor so I had that to do. For Sacrament meeting, I talked first using as my subject Matthew ---. Then Teina talked, with me interpreting, then Tahiri gave a good closing sermon. For night meeting, Tahiri continued with his chart. He surely cleared up some swell points for me. I hope everybody will be as easy to understand as he is when I hit the Tuamotus with a Junior.

Monday, May 22, 1939
Put on a few finishing touches on the chart this morning and then the rest of the day was just doing this and that. The fellow up on the hill is under five days sentence for cutting vanilla too green so he went riding off this morning to the "fare-auri ". Today Tetua gave us a fairly nice tie of vanilla. She's surely a dear old soul. The other night when Teina was casting out some disagreeable food, she was worried all over (and that's a lot of space). Surely a swell gossiper we get all the news. Oh Boy! What she couldn't do over the back fence.

Tuesday, May 23, 1939
Just before leaving for the city to await the arrival of our boat, we gathered around to say "goodbye" to our swell friends there. Tetua gave Teina and me each a pretty pillow case. A few weeks ago Teina had commented on how pretty they were and she had remembered it, washed and ironed them and with a "e mea puai to matou aroha is orua, " she gave them to us and then cried a little. Anyway, we said "Ia orana " and got in the vaa  and rowed away. One of the fellows from up on the hill was taking us in. We rowed for two hours to get there.

We were made welcome once again here and with straightening up my box, bathing, - and going to the show we easily passed the day. (Leisurely, I should say. Oh Yes! Our book of last week arrived. Hm... quite a few days behind, but it's allright now, but we surely could have used it. The Potii  would have to be two days late this week of all weeks. Oh well! Tomorrow will be May 24, and it will be just one year since my arrival in this part of the world. And what a year!!

Wednesday, May 24, 1939
Instead of me being out whooping it up on my first year anniversary, I find Elder Haslem and me just sitting around holding our own hands. I didn't even think of today being so great, but just the same, we took a good swim, got in a little study, and lots of gabbing. The family has been gone all day so we certainly have been left alone. We have certainly been eating oranges too.

Now for just a little review of the past year: Of course Tahiti will always seem beautiful to me. My first impression was wonderful. And then came the assignment for me to labor in Takaroa. There I met some of the very best people the South Seas produce; I shall never forget them. Then my lone sojourn to Niau and one week alone there. That was the turning point of when I began to use what language I knew. A little Lonesome, but when I think of the friends there now, it makes me long to meet them again. Into H.Q. for a week or two and then my lonesome trip out to Hikueru alone to meet Elder Asay. We spent a trying month there but it's swell to look back on now. I think a lot of Elder Asay. Christmas we spent together on board the Gisborne ; he sick. Then came our arrival in H.Q. and meeting the best bunch of fellows that ever rode schooners in the South Seas. Our New Year's days were swell together. Then Elder Hunting and my pioneering voyage to the Leewards for some months of really roughing it, but hoping we spread some good in Raiatea and Tahaa. Elder Haslem came out to work a few calouses on his feet before he and I were to tackle Huahine. Then April 8, just ten months and fifteen days since my arrival I became a Senior. Our work on Huahine completed, and now we are ready to go in to H.Q. for Pres. Hardy's Conference.


Thursday, May 25, 1939
The beginning of my second year; very much different than the first day of a year ago. It looked pretty stormy this morning when we started out for Maeva but outside of a little sprinkling, we didn't get wet. No sooner had we got in, however, than a storm came out off the ocean and really put on a swell display for us. Our results in Maeva rated 2 ve'a  subs. And something like 80 tracts distributed. The remainder of the day found us each studying on something or other. I was glad to prove Tahiri's version of the Celestial Glory to Teina today.

Potii  came chugging in this afternoon; we hope to leave on board Hiro  tomorrow.

Friday, May 26, 1939
We spent the morning preparing to leave by arranging our boxes. The Hiro  wasn't expected to leave until four o'clock but due to the slow Chinamen, she tooted her whistle for a departure. We surely made a hurried rush to the P.O. to obtain our passports and back again to ship; all in the Mervin 'town car'.

As we quietly sailed by our Home, on board Hiro, heading for Headquarters. Aroha.

Then the most weird trip started. Everybody felt swell for awhile... even I sat up for an hour. A pair of whales alongside of ship made things a little more interesting for us. Then I layed down for a little rest; not long after that I put my head over the rail for the first time in the South Seas and 'let 'er go'. Not much though because there just wasn't anything to come... that's what hurt. Teina piped up with, "Cheer up, kid, your not the first; there have been four ahead of you." About two minutes after I lay back he started to go. Then for the next four hours we just alternated back and forth. I reached four different times and he hit three. The best part of the whole show was that everyone was seasick but the crew. It just looked like a drunken mess, the way everyone was stretched out. Anyway, we reached Tahiti around ten P.M. having made the trip in ten hours. When we got to the Home we were expecting to meet Elders Hunting, Richards, and Chapman only, but imagine our surprise to see Machen, Stevens, Young, Green, and three shiney new Elders that landed last Thursday, via hoi , Nance, Price and Halverson. Wow! And are things in an uproar! All day there has been nothing but fights. Marcel and wife are at it... Marcel's wife is after Roti for guess what !!! Etc. Wow again! Pres. ma  will be in sometime next week... I hope.

We read our mail before retiring, which consisted of three from Bobby, one from Lucille, one Fern, one Mother, and one from Grandmother A. We then went to bed at 1:30 A.M. but couldn't get to sleep 'til 3 A.M.


Saturday, May 27, 1939
And up again at 5:30 A.M. and started on the work I had to do. Here is the list: Clear box and take odds and ends up stairs, obtain a supply of shirts from my trunk, and also other clothes, deliver things from Huahini here and there, straighten everything in both boxes, go to town, get some rum (cost 10 F for enough to fill my vanila,) and a dozen other odd things, laundry, etc. Anyway, it has been a big day and now before I call it a day (10:00 P.M.) I shall work my books over, start or finish some letters, and take a shower for Sunday tomorrow. I surely hate night to come when I first get into Tahiti—after having been out. I just can't seem to do everything at once.

 The old bottle of vanilla beans
The old bottle that was once
full of vanilla beans and rum

Sunday, May 28, 1939
After writing yesterday, I finished Vern and Fern's letter and then sat and talked to Elder Machen for quite some time. I gave him my second bottle of vanilla just for a friendship sake. He's a swell fellow.

Today I really enjoyed being back again for some good Church meetings. Even though I was given an assignment this morning to speak in Sac. mtg., I still enjoyed the three new Elder's talks and Elder Machen's. The rest of the day we busied ourselves just waiting for the next meeting. Gee! Teumere can sing! I wrote some more on Mother's letter also. Tonight my tooth-cutting is bothering as bad as anybody's tooth-ache. It has kind of given me a good sore throat and a little ear ache. I guess Senior duties are causing the wisdom to sprout. Guess I'll go to bed.

Monday, May 29, 1939
Just one thing after another and so on throughout the day. Teina and I went tracting this morning. The two hours we were gone were just about used up in getting out to a district and started. We did get in enough, however, to be flatly refused once and to give away some 25 tracts.

Upon returning to the house we ate dinner and then went to town, where I ordered a shirt from Yat Lee. Then the remainder of the day was again used up in more folding. The printing room is a mess so we are trying to rush before Pres. ma  gets back. Uela and I had a good talk tonight, I surely got the lowdown and about everything. My tooth is still driving me batty.

Tuesday, May 30, 1939
Sticking to my resolution of doing what I can of cleaning the printing room, I bound some 60 song books today, straightening pages, punching and sewing them. Oh yes, Elder Price and I got breakfast this morning, cooking oat meal for the first time in a century. Instead of going on the tracting line today, I hit the folding process again for all afternoon, except for the hour Teina and I took off to go to the Police Station to be signed "in". Surely got some snappy pictures today. They almost compare to Raiatea scenes.

Elders Machen, Stevens, Nance, and Young took a run across to Moorea this morning for tracting; will be gone a week. Heusser & Peterson due in Saturday.

Wednesday, May 31, 1939
At work once again at song books. Completed sixty-six today which should put me half through. All the time I was working, I was helping Elders Price and Halverson on their grammar, prayers, etc. They surely seem diligent and willing to learn. Very different fellows from the people we have been meeting the past five months. It almost makes a guy get in to keep up with them.

Attended meeting at night and afterwards we raided the kitchen again for a snack. Ioane (Commissary) Oro. was with us this time however. Oh yes! Grammar & Gospel class this morning. Na Uela te haapiiraa i faatere. Na Ioane te a'ora a Evanelia.

Thursday, June 1, 1939
At the present time President Rufus K. Hardy is sitting here on the back porch discussing seasickness right along with the rest of us.

 Page 213

# And believe me, I feel honored to have his name in this book. (I just now # got it.)

Pres. and Party came in just after dinner today, and as soon as we heard the ship's whistle, Ioane, Teina and I started for the wharf. We got there just after the ship was tied. Brother Hardy gave me his bag etc. and it seemed a pleasure to assist him ashore. A taxi took him and Sister Stevens and kids to the home, but Pres. Stevens stayed to assist us with his baggage, boxes, souvenirs, etc. Lui seemed a little teoteo  but I hope it was just his seasickness. The whole party, including Pres. Hardy who hasn't been seasick for eighteen years, got more than one big dose of Tahitian Seasickness which very, very few people miss. (You don't even miss it after it's over.)

 Hardy and Stevens
President Rufus K. Hardy and President
Stevens; Elder Young in background.

The remainder of the day I worked on binding. Elder H. and Stevens both visited me at my work. I'm glad they liked what I was doing. My estimation of Pres. H. has raised 50 % since meeting him at the dock.

Friday, June 2, 1939
Almost the same thing today only more of it. My work after G.&G. classes was to finish binding the song books. I finished them, and not only that but pasted backs on quite a number also. That's about all I have to say tonight except to mention Elder Price's eating of ants. The guy is either willing to take what comes or he's nuts! Which?

 Page 214

Saturday, June 3, 1939
Elders Heusser and Peterson came in today and with the returning of Stevens, Machen, Nance, and Young from Moorea, we have another good full house. Went to an auction sale today, but the pretty paintings I wanted went for 30 and 40 dollars.

Tahiri came in today and also Mervins. I was glad to meet them Oh yes! I met Wah Sang also (see above). Didn't do much today but work around the house and take two walks to town. Bought fork and spoon and bowl this morning. Helped Ani under Church-house until I was dirty and finished. Attended G.&G. classes. Elder hardy surely cleared up some points for us... and Uela. Had another good talk with him in the afternoon and evening. He's O.K! Showered and retired.

Sunday, June 4, 1939
Three meetings in the morning, a big chicken dinner, a bicycle ride with Chappie, Viriamu, Uela, and Jane out to the cemetery. It was too dead there so we returned for evening meeting.

I gave another report on Huahine in Priesthood meeting and blessed the water in Sacrament. Now that I can understand I enjoy meetings much more. Wrote answers to 4 questions tonight.

Monday, June 5, 1939
This has been a day never to be forgotten. Every once in awhile something very worthwhile takes place in the life of a Missionary. Today I experienced the greatest joy I have yet felt here... the true Spirit of the Lord. This morning Pres. Stevens called a meeting of Elders. He talked for a number of minutes and then turned the time to Pres. Hardy. Pres. Hardy in turn requested that the missionaries, one at a time, in humbleness and heartfelt words express their thoughts and testimony. We began with the eldest, Elder Green, then Machen, Heusser, Stevens, Hunting, myself, Chapman, and Richards, and then recess was called. Never before have I heard more beautiful, simple, love-filled words as were expressed by the Senior Elders. We all felt the influence immensely. Not a few tears were shed by the Elders.

Immediately following dinner we started where we left off, with Elders Young, Haslem, Peterson, Randal, Price, Nance and Halverson giving their thoughts. Then Pres. Hardy took over the discourse for two hours which really seemed very short. He surely gave us a beautiful insight of our work. It was great!

Following meeting a few of us walked to town for the exercise and a chance to discuss our feelings. Later on in the evening I went ward-teaching with Kio, which wasn't without its mishaps. To begin with I ran over a dog with my bicycle and he surely got mad about it and wanted to chew my leg off. We visited four families and then while returning home, I was busy juggling an umbrella, light, and handle-bars. Somehow things got twisted and I sprawled out in the road, rolling over once, no damage done but a little dirt on my coat, skinned knuckles, and bent pedal. Oh, but was it an embarrassing moment! I'm glad it was dark and stormy enough to keep people off the road. 11:00 P.M.

Elders Convention with Elder Hardy. First General Authority to visit the Oldest Mission.
Front row: "Totare" Green; "Lui" Randall; "Rufa" Hardy; "Setephano" Stevens; "Aiona" Stevens; "Iosepha" Stevens; "Ahaderea" Machen. Back row: "Ioane" Richards; "Haurata" Heusser; "Noromana" Price; "Petarona" Peterson; "Rutena" Allred; "Ri" Halverson; "Viriamu" Young; "La Vora" Chapman; "Tane" Nance; "Teina" Haslem; "Uela" Hunting.

Tuesday, June 6, 1939
Immediately following breakfast, Pres. called a meeting to give out a few more instructions and new assignments. I am to go to Anaa with the new Elder Price. Elder P. is having a rather difficult time with the language... he is worried, but he is very diligent in his efforts. Though a rather frail kid, I'm sure he'll make the grade. His violin should come in very handy in meetings. When I first heard the assignment to go to the island of 400 people, one of them a Mormon and the rest Catholic I was a little worried but that soon left me; I'm ready for anything. I think we'll make the grade together.

Later I began the final going over of my box. Just I was in the midst of the taehaa , an administration came up. Elder Machin and I were called to go administer to a little fellow who had a good fever. He was better when we left.

I received an assignment this morning from Pres. to choose a companion and put on a tracting skit tonight. We (Elder Haslem) and I dressed in "browns", packed our valise and set out around the circle. We called on the New Miss.' home and answered all questions put to us. Our next home was Pres.' He tried to catch us (and sometimes succeeding). Then a cottage meeting was held, demonstrated by Totare, and then Pres. Hardy gave his opinions and told a few good stories. One more enjoyable day passed. Retired at 12:00 P.M.

 After Sunday School
A few of us following S.S. in the month of June, including Elder Machen, Iosepha, Mapu, Simone, Teumere,
Uela, Teina, Elder Nance, Tepeura, Tehetu, Totare, Huri nainai, Ioane, Fifi, Noromana, Paata, etc.

Wednesday, June 7, 1939
Report came up that our ship will be leaving Friday morning so today I packed a box. Am only taking my big one out. Then I went upstairs and gave my trunk the working over. Believe me it keeps a guy busy. I finished Bobby's letter, Mother's and one to Lucille today. Only about four more to go now. Retired once again at 12:00 midnight.

Thursday, June 8, 1939
Elder Price and I got signed out today for Anaa, and then we went to town. I bought a film and a pair of sandals. Am all ready to leave now, just waiting on the pahi . The bigger part of the afternoon was spent in getting my hair cut. Elder Heusser was the clipper wielder. I went to sleep once during the process. These late hours at night and early wakening hours rather put me behind in my sleep. 12:00 mid-nite to 5:30 A.M. isn't much.

Tonight I sat up to the deadline hour writing to Grandma and Bro. Newman. I certainly worked in various occupations lately. Bookkeeping, my own book binding, mattress-maker, and a dozen others it seems.

 Ua tapitihia
Ua tapitihia

Friday, June 9, 1939
Immediately after breakfast Elder Price and I went to see about our ship. The captain said nothing doing until tomorrow so we had one more day in which to continue preparation although we could leave on a minutes notice.

Went tracting for an hour today and then into town to buy medicine. Tonight was a haapiiraa hohoa . Over 400 people came. The two plays that were put on went over pretty well. Lui and I sat on the back porch and admired this and that.

Saturday, June 10, 1939
I kept in very close touch with the ship all day today, expecting word we were leaving. Capt. set a definite time of 6:00 P.M. so we sent our boxes down on a truck, and after the time to leave we said "Goodbye" to Pres. Hardy, Pres. Stevens and Missionaries and went on sip. We were there about an hour then Sister Stevens and a group came down to see us off. Due to something or other the Capt. said "Not 'till morning", so we all returned back to the house and watched another Haapiiraa hohoa . Sat in "box seat" again. Wrote to Aunt Marie.

Sunday, June 11, 1939
Back down to the ship again this morning and ready to go. Ioane ma  got off O.K. and soon after, our motors started. Meanwhile Missionaries were dropping down to the wharf between Sunday meetings to see us off. The mechanics tinkered around with the engine until about 11:00 o'clock and then gave it a run around the lagoon as a tester. She was O.K. so just after they started eating a big Sunday dinner at H.Q., we pulled out. Everything went swell for about an hour. We were both sitting up enjoying the trip; then before we knew it we were turned around limping back for Papeete; a valve had split.

Upon landing, Noromana and I stayed long enough to hear "ananahi e reva'i tatou"   and we returned home, much to the surprise of those at the house. They thought surely they had gotten rid of us. We ate dinner and read until evening, and then in our brown traveling clothers, we attended night mtg. We were the objects of most of the questions concerning how did we like Anaa? Noa'te i te reira, ua mauruuru maua no te mea e, e roi maru ta maua i taua po ra. 

Monday, June 12, 1939
After using up the day just dilly-dallying around, we were surprised, as well as everyone else (?) to hear our ship was leaving this evening. True to form we said the rounds of "Goodbye" again... Pres. Hardy remarking, "I believe this makes the fourth time, but you are always welcome back; the door is open to you." The Missionaries, good old fellows, all came down again to see us off. And we really did leave. In fact, I never knew when we passed from the lagoon on to the ocean; it certainly was calm. We had prayers and then went to sleep on the deck.


Tuesday, June 13, 1939
A miserable day if I ever spent one. The first thing in the morning the sailors shooed us off our mat while they scrubbed the deck. No other way than to sit up until the floor dried. Meanwhile, Woe is me!, I hit the rail eight times. The last one being just before I retired for the night. Not having eaten a thing in all day but a quarter of an orange, I just about kinked myself. Elder Price got by just loosing his orange, but outside of that, he walked around quite awhile.

Wednesday, June 14, 1939
I lay on my back from 9:00 P.M. the 13th until 9:00 P.M. the 14th without even as much as having a drink. I wasn't sick or in misery, but just didn't have the life to do a thing; I read, however, most of the time. Elder Price rather enjoyed walking around; he's a good sailor after all.

Rutena Home Page

Next Island: Anaa

Rutena in Tahiti | Takaroa | Niau | Hikueru | Tahaa and Raiatea | Huahine | Anaa | Marokau | Hikueru again | Papeete

msn spaces graphics  Dell Computer

© 2012 Allred Family