The Missionary Journal of O. Rudeen Allred (Rutena)
L.D.S. Missionary, Tahitian Mission


Tuesday, August 29, 1939
Traveled all day and busied myself in reading newspapers and letters. Not sick; in fact felt better than I ever have on ship. Busy talking with Captain's daughter all day and far into the night.

 in Marokau
On to Marokau where Noromana & I met Re & Tere. Our Home in Background.

Wednesday, August 30, 1939
And then this morning before daylight we find ourselves nearing M(arokau). About six we went ashore in the "life boat" on a rough sea. Surely glad to meet the two Elders tho we hardly expected to. Now for a synopsis of M(arokau).: It is a rocky joint having nothing at all but swell people. I was certainly glad to meet some of my old pals from Hikueru days... Teahu, Terahoa, Ana & Hoga, (who are members now, due to Ray's good work) and others. They welcomed us pretty heartily and it seems good to be among a few Saints again! Then came the business end. We bought a load of groceries from the ship... bananas, jam, milk, beef, etc.

Meeting at night and a long stretch of visiting afterwards used up the evening. Just one news item of interest from Pres.... Elder Price is to stay here and Elder Braegger is going back with me. Surely glad to be here.

Thursday, August 31, 1939
Work in a branch surely would be a pleasure for a change. I surely enjoyed Primary and Relief Society meetings. Elder McEntire handles things pretty well. We still spent the majority of the day in discussion "swapping tales". I cut Elder Braegger's hair and he cut mine. Elder Mc cut Price's so we had quite a barber day. Didn't do much in the evening but visit with each other.

Friday, September 1, 1939
Awakened this morning with the realization I'm in for a few more days of misery. Square on my knee cap there rests a big boil just starting. Gee,... what fun.

Went visiting with Elder McEntire today and met a few more friends. Hoga returned today so I was surely glad to meet him again. The house was full of people most of the day today as usual round a bunch of Saints... surely glad.

Tonight I had to teach a song in Haapiiraa Himene . We had quite the sport singing around.

 A hat hei Saturday, September 2, 1939
Trying not to be a boob and let a fever and a few more aches get met down, I've been going all day, though I feel pretty paruparu  tonight. I got a board in my leg and something sharp in my head and they are trying to drive me down. For work today I read with Elder Braegger and visited Teahu. These people are the biggest "askers" for medicine I ever saw. They're not even sick and then ask for something and set it aside for a rainy day. Surely loveable though. Terahoa brought my white coat back and gave me a hei  for my hat. Surely saw a beautiful pearl Teahu got. Biggest I ever saw. Price 4,000 french dollars (and I really believe he thinks he'll get it. Well, try to take some aspirins and get some sleep. Sunday tomorrow.

Sunday, September 3, 1939
Eight hours in meeting today though I'd have felt better, physically, in bed. Spiritually though I surely was glad to be in meetings again. In Priesthood meeting I had a chance for a lesson but couldn't stand long so I took it for next Sunday instead. Led a song however--and was given the assignment of setting apart a Deacon. Haapiiraa Sabati  followed next, then Sacrament meeting in which I bore my testimony along with Re [McEntire]. Following Sac. Mtg. we were invited over to Teahu's for a swell dinner of potatoes, pork, avaro , and pape haari . Nice of him. My appetite is so far gone I couldn't do anything. Then closely followed Feia Api  and two more hours of sitting. Afterwards I came home and lay down and stayed there. In fact I'm doing that right now. The sick fellow promised Ray he would place himself in our hands if we would heal him. He hasn't suggested having any faith in Administering.

Monday, September 4, 1939
Down with fever and oh, for the physical pain; I've got up and dressed today though. Flat most of the day; no food eaten.

Tuesday, September 5, 1939
Same as yesterday; no change. Paruparu roa . No food eaten. What a physical outlook I'm having.

Wednesday, September 6, 1939
Something broke today and it wasn't me. I felt better all day. Wrote a letter to Barbara and a letter to Elden. Still dressed myself anyway though I've been down all day. Finished letter to Bishop.

Thursday, September 7, 1939
Was able to raise up for a little while today. Fever has debated perceptibly. The leg though is awful. It drained heavily after I pulled two cores out. Natives around to do what they can but I have to let nature take it's course. Surely hated missing Primary and R.S. today, but it's too much pain to get around.

Friday, September 8, 1939
Not nearly As good as new but Feeling better. (No, guess I won't print For the next year.)
Went to meeting tonight for a change though I quickly returned to the house after. Today I began looking at my lesson for Priesthood mtg. Sunday. Broke the "east-end" today which accounts for the better feeling. Hoga wrote me a letter today and so I walked over to see him. He has a big boil where he can't sit. Nothing further today except I and Elder Braegger studied together by reading from Tahitian Books of Mormon. Can of fruit at 10:00. Ua Fanauhia te aiu .

Saturday, September 9, 1939
Out again today and there is nothing like a good swim to start a guy off again; I stayed on the shore, however, while my pals took my exercise for me. Played a little catch with Tere to loosen up a bit. This evening I wrote to Bro. Newman and Pete. I'm still not able to get around any too well but it won't be long now.

Sunday, September 10, 1939
First thing this morning we attended a wedding... a double one at that. Practically the same thing as the one in Takaroa except the governor said a few more words to the couple. Following that we went to Priesthood meeting where I gave the lesson on Jeremiah. The rest of the day followed in its regular sequence except for the wedding supper we were escorted to by the two couples. They came down to get us and we walked up the street, they behind playing guitars and singing, and us in front. One would think we were the ones being celebrated. The supper was served out on the long front porch of Tamatoa's house in a nice setting of niau  decoration. The food consisted of a course of soup, then chicken, beef, more chicken and the poi  and more chicken plus bread and haari  water. Needless to say we did justice to our part. Meeting at night, the lesson given by one of the young married men, and the short talks by the other couple. Only one of the four is a member. After returning to the house I wrote to Mother, June & Glenna, and retired. Feeling much better. Na Rei i haamaitai i te aiu api .

Monday, September 11, 1939
Tagaroa died early this morning so the first thing they began digging his hole. We went to his home in the afternoon, took a picture of the corpse and soon after attended another one of those "screwey" Catholic "plantings". The speech at the graveside was on Luke 12:33-34. We surely thought it a funny subject. For study today I read a little theology and then wrote letters to Vern and Fern, Verba, and the kids and also one to Mapuhi. Hoga ma and Matavai ma  were in at night and they did a lot of singing while I was busy writing. That's pretty good the last few days: one birth, two marriages and one death. That's what makes the world go around.

Tuesday, September 12, 1939
Elder Mc and I spent the biggest part of the day in tracting. We didn't meet very many people as they are working inland. We did get in a few visits however. There were a few of the Saints here working on the enlargement of the Church-house; they just about finished that. For study I read more Tahitian B of M. and a little of Joseph's Teachings. My leg is still stiff but the soreness has left it. Well, I surely can't write much of a diary lately.

Wednesday, September 13, 1939
Up again very early, cleaned up and then read Tah. until the others awakened. During the day, Re and I went visiting. We obtained to Tepapa papa's permission for her baptism. He said he couldn't stand in a good place and tell her to go to the "hot-spot" and again he couldn't stand in the "hot-spot" and tell her to go to the good one. Anyway, it was up to her to choose her course, and that's what we wanted; she has chosen. The rest of the day we just busied ourselves at this and that. No ship as yet so my letters are getting "old".

Thursday, September 14, 1939
Just after breakfast we attended Primary, then I read different parts of books, then dinner and then Relief Society, in which the old sister announced out of the clear sky that I would lead the lesson. Regardless of how many times she has been told to assign the lesson ahead of time she still does as she pleases. I hadn't even looked at the lesson and Ray had prepared a little so he took it over. I consented to take it for next week providing she would tell me now and not wait until then. Whatta gal!

The two meetings were about all for the day. We began talking Tahitian among ourselves again; hope we can keep it up.

Friday, September 15, 1939
My and Ray's work today consisted mostly of visiting, and I must say we were successful. In our visiting we received the result of two baptisms for this coming Sunday and one repentance. Two women who are now Catholics (Tepapa and Matapuni) have finally had the desire to join us. There is still hopes of another at Conference. Surely great to see our efforts turn to big success like that and be able to assist the Lord in bringing more souls unto Him. We were out about four hours and got in a few good visits. In the evening song practice to prepare for Conference was held with Ray leading. Surely a nice branch here and doing a good work. We continued talking a little Tahitian among ourselves but it's hard to do.

Saturday, September 16, 1939
Put in a rather big day by shelling our pufa , assisting a little with the Church-house, helping "Tere" with his Conference talk and looking up a little material for my own, and then we went swimming for a couple of hours. This time I went in and had good exercise. Ray and I talked together for a couple more hours tonight; I surely think a lot of him and I know we'll associate together when we return home. There are some girls in the house again as usual on Saturday night. They surely come to see us rather than us go to see them. It almost makes a guy wish it were that way back home. Tirara parau paha no teie nei po .

Our Baptismal Font in Marokau. We were
priveleged to use it five times while we
were there.

Sunday, September 17, 1939
I must say this day has been as big a day and as joyful as any I have put in. According to the custom of the natives the one being baptized has the privilege of choosing whomsoever they want to perform the ceremony and I was selected as the one. Really, I surely appreciate Tepapa's and Matapuni's haamana'oraa ia'u . I really know what it is to baptize an older person now. Tepapa is just 21 though she has two children, one being 7 years old, and the other woman is 29. I was given the assignment in Priesthood meeting along with setting Maro (M's husband) apart as a Teacher and also the blessing of the water... (and I also talked a couple of minutes in Sac. Mtg.) So, all in all, I feel as though I've had a big day. Oh yes! Tamatoa had me take over his class of old folks today and also lead the hi'opoaraa  for next Sunday. It was a big day for meetings too. With one down by the water's edge, meetings totaled five for today. Tere took three pictures with my kodak as the ceremony was being performed. I surely feel ready for a good sleep tonight, but with another house full of people and 9:00 P.M. already, I don't know just when I'll get to start. Ah, but being able to get two Catholics no roto mai i te Ekalesia no te Diabolo , I feel good enough to stay up all night. Tamatoa ran off a little too much as usual and threw quite a damper on Sac. meeting today but they say he does that quite often. He is going to have to be told if he slips out any more like that. Well, I guess I'll go outside and talk to Re.

Following the baptism of two Catholic women into the Church.

Monday, September 18, 1939
This morning I awakened just after Re got up... and then the bed fell in. Well, I got up. After breakfast I helped Hina weave niau  leaves and then Re and I went visiting. We visited about four homes, called Tamatoa on his talk yesterday and he apologized. Once again the house has been full of people so I haven't done much studying. Elder Braegger has taken over Elder Price and is trying to help him on the language. Del surely is a swell guy in my estimation. We cut each other's hair again today. Practice helps.

Tuesday, September 19, 1939
First thing this morning Tamatoa came over and gave me a list of the people in his class. The way I am to lead their hi'opoaraa  Sunday is a laugh. He wants me to write out the question and the answer and distribute them around to everyone. I will, but they are going to have to look up the answer themselves. I spent an hour or so preparing questions for them and then a little more copying on my Conference outline. That with looking over my Relief Society lesson constituted my day's study.

We spent the majority of the day in visits again. I gave Tepapa a song book and Tere gave Matapuni one. Ray and I visited Tepapa, M., Teahu, and then to see a young girl whose father is a Mormon but she is a Catholic and her baby is unblessed... We even went into her marriage problem... Our next visit was another Catholic stronghold, and then down to Mahea's home to talk with her; she seems to be our best prospect now. Then we went over to see Haumata's "sleeper" and try to stir up his desire to marry her. He wasn't sure so we went to see Haumata. Kuranui objected at first but we brought him around so that he will permit it if Haumata wants it so. Then we turned to Haumata but she didn't feel like talking so we didn't stress the point and left it for a later date. And that constituted our visits for today. The girls are still pretty fresh and surely playing around plenty... Ana and Atanua. Ray cautioned them last night but they didn't take it to heart. They kinda scared him today in A. house.

Tonight the branch is holding a little meeting. They have our lamp over there so we are using just the coal-oil light. Ray and I walked out on the shore tonight and lay and talked for quite some time. Tere is out with the girls again...

Wednesday, September 20, 1939
Once again following breakfast Ray and I were out seeing what we could do. We got in a few good visits but nothing especially successful. The Catholics say we got our share, and they are sticking pretty close to their houses. For study today I finished all my questions for the hi'opoaraa  and just after I finished, Teaua walked in and asked me to prepare her Primary questions so I consented to do that. Well, that along with tracting and preparing tomorrow's Relief Society lesson kept me pretty busy. Yes, and to top it off, Ioane from Hikueru dropped over. The Catholics were plenty glad to see him, thinking he can stop our (the Lord's) work. Well, we'll see. Tuoriro led the lesson tonight and then following meeting, Ray and I saw all the Catholics and Ioane out in front of their Church house. We took one look and began walking down there. Before he knew what was up we were in front of him with our hands out to shake hands with him. He couldn't run so he surely put on a "glad to see you" act. I reminded him we had met in Hikueru but he didn't seem to remember. He surely talked (Chinese) and Paumotion to us but we kept up. After a minute or so talking, we went on down to Teahu's, just to see if he was telling the truth about a letter he was supposed to have received from Tehotaha... he wasn't. He can surely spread it on. And another thing... Teata and Atanua got in a fight because of us today. Teata called her on her playing around and they surely turned the air blue for a mile around. Atanua had it coming but Teata has no business getting into something that doesn't concern her. Ray told Matavai that when we are involved in a thing, for them to stay completely out. I can imagine them doing that.

Thursday, September 21, 1939
The only way to keep the priest from doing anything is to keep close around his house and he stays in. So, Ray and I went out again this morning to see if we could scare him a little. He was outside for awhile but as soon as he saw us around he holed up in his house. Quite the fellow. We visited with Hoga, the Governor, a group of women, Kuranui ma , etc. Yesterday Elder Price and Braegger went out together. I muri a'era ho'i maira raua. Ua na'o atura Re ia raua, "Ua Manuia orua i to orua haereraa?" Nu'o maira Tere, "Aita, aita e ravea." Ua mairi e hoe hora e ua parau atura vau ia Tere, na'o atura, "Eaha te huru o to orua haereraa." Ua haapuai rii Tere i to'na re'o, na'o maira," Te ani nei au ia'oe eiaha oe e na reira fauhou, oia hoi, e tono ia maua o Noromana no te farerei-haere-raa. I to'u mau mahana, aita roa'tu vau i haamea mai teie nei mahana. Aue taua taata N ra! Ua fifi roa ia haere pihaiiho ia'na. Parau mau i hoa .

We went to see Heura who came from Hikueru yesterday; I remember her well. The news: Tagi died, which is news. The rest of the day we used in reading, attending Primary, and Relief Society. I gave the lesson in Relief S. and did what I could to get them on their toes. Evening spent with the house full of people again as another practice for Conf. was held and as soon as that is over they flock in the house nei .

Friday, September 22, 1939
Ioane left today and I guess there are no hard feelings about his departure. Three of us went to the shore to see him off. He merely greeted us and wouldn't shake hands. It made me turn over inside to watch his people kiss his hand. He left, which is something anyway. Today hasn't been very big. I and Tere studied awhile, at night Ray's singing practice, and Ana and Hoga and Tepori in afterwards. About eleven-thirty we retired and went to bed. Surely sleep good lately.

 Day's Catch
Elder Braegger & Myself in Marokau. A Few Minutes Catch.

Saturday, September 23, 1939
Nothing too exciting today except cleaning up the yard and going for a swim. Ray and I stayed on the beach a long time and talked over everything. He's surely a swell guy, as I've always said. The day has just passed away in talking almost without very much reading being done. The whole ("hole") water we use for washing is surely hard. There hasn't been any rain fall for the past month. All we drink is coconuts and what water we can get from other city. The boiled fish and baked dough is getting tiresome too if that ship doesn't get here. This evening I wrote a letter to Aunt Marie, finishing completely all letters I owe. Now to wait for more.

Sunday, September 24, 1939
Seven hours in meetings today pretty well used up my day. I didn't have any work to day except judge the Hiopoaraa  which was quite a task and brought criticism from the "poor sports". Ray and I held fast to our decision though and gave it to the Primary. During "off" hours I read the "Readers Digest". Nobody around tonight so we are retiring quite early.... 9:30 P.M.

Monday, September 25, 1939
What a tangle I got into today in more ways than one. I tried to go completely over my account books and work on a new system of accounting. I guess I was at that four hours and then Ray and I went tracting. One old fellow when he got calling us a lot of names and I got tired of saying, "Haavare tena parau! " to him rather stirred me up. I guess we kinda hollered at each other for a few minutes; that is about the first time I ever lost my temper in Gospel talking and yet I was defending our people and Church and not "slaming" anyone. Maybe I was justified. I feel like I was anyway. We visited quite a number of places and with "coolness" from the Catholics. However we feel that Mohea will be baptized at Conference. She has quit smoking because she doesn't feel right about smoking around him (her husband) since his repentance. She said today she feels that we have the true Church and if her father consents, she will be baptized. We also cleared Tepori of the scandal she has been thrown in because of the lies of Atanua. While we were there Urupano and she sent out two cans of beef apiece as tao'a aroha  for us. It was the Katikita we were talking to and his daughter we were talking about. Surely a good family.

Tuesday, September 26, 1939
Once again Ray and I used the day for visits. We got into a job of fixing a sewing machine for one family; I doubt if it will work very long even now. Others took us to the "vaa  builder", the "plasterer", and "used to be" storekeeper. The rest of the day was used in talking over the marriage question and finding what we could on it. The Catholic Priest started the talk about "unless the people were married by him for spiritual life as well as mortal they were committing adultery." Of course the Saints were up in arms defending their rights. We really couldn't seem to be able to prove much to them from the Bible.

Wednesday, September 27, 1939
This morning was started early because as soon as I hear the pigs I have to wake up. This morning they came around just at daylight, 5:00 A.M., for sure, and so I threw rocks at them and tried to get back to sleep. Nothing doing so I crawled out quietly and let the others sleep.

To begin with I cleaned up and then began reading Tahitian B. of M. I read about seven chapters in that and then ate breakfast--fish again and faraipanis . After a bit Ray and I got scuffling for exercise. We got up a good sweat and so away we went for a swim. (Getting further out each time.) Upon returning, Ray and I went out again visiting. Nothing very exciting; the old man though has his old leg sickness bothering him. He very likely thinks I asked for that upon him. By his doing what we told him awhile back, he got over it. Now it's started again. He'll learn to say what he did about the Church. Tonight Temanu led the Haapiiraa  on the Marriage talk that has been going around. Honestly, I can never say I have seen things quite so clearly before. What was hidden yesterday in our searching was surely clear tonight. It surely helps to pay attention and follow through the lesson. I honestly felt inspired and talked marriage like a veteran. We were sure all ways pleased with the lesson. After meeting, Ray and I worked with Davita. He's surely a sensible fellow. Another good prospect.

Thursday, September 28, 1939
We held a little class on Gospel this morning with each answering a question. It doesn't seem to be going to pan out as the others haven't taken much interest. During the day we attended Primary and Relief Society, and in the morning Ray and I put a sewing machine together, then I painted it. The rest of the day was spent in reading; I finished Mosiah in Tahitian.

This evening Ana tried a fast one. She is surely after a white man. She said that is her ambition; to sleep with a white man. Ray and I were sitting out on the shore in the moonlight when she came along the shore. She could only see one until she got right close. When she saw two of us there, she turned and ran as hard as she could. Talk about having to watch out.

Friday, September 29, 1939
The Moana  came today with plenty of war news and lots of packages for us. We were glad to meet another ship, though it puts a dark spot on me. I received one letter from home and a few newspapers, a letter from Elder Richards, Tearihimaitaifano a Gnariki , Uela (and an order for two more Sections of D. and Cov. to translate: 62 & 68.) one from Pres. with instructions to try to get to Hikueru after Conference, and then be in by December 1st. That puts me in another spot for more reasons than one. Ship problems are plenty difficult with everything cut to half-rations, ships only coming out half as often, and nobody coming for Conf. from Hikueru. Elder Braegger is officially my Junior now. Sister Stevens is on the "expecting list" now and it won't be long according to his confidential P.S. No mail from Barbara for which I'm surprised to find myself not caring one bit. In fact that's one time waster off my hands... letter writing. I went on ship for about an hour this afternoon in order to fill our order. I didn't get exactly sick but haven't felt right about it since. Why do I do such things? Terara ia parau .

Saturday, September 30, 1939
Just about the same this Saturday as others. We couldn't very well get along without our swim. I worked on Sec. 52 of Doc. & Cov. and just about finished it for the first check. Of course it is far from finished but with about three more goings over we can call it O.K. That is about all I accomplished today. We doubt very much if many people will be here for Conference. The calm is still on, no water, and no wind. If plans work out as I hope for we'll be in Hikueru next Wednesday following Conference... I hope.

To te Amuiraa Atopa i Marokau

Sunday, October 1, 1939
One more month beginning and with what is before us, it will be gone before we know it. Today was a big day and a good way to start out the month although I don't approve too much of the work that we did. Ray had a brilliant idea that the Branch that Nile organized had to be changed. We had discussed it a little but hadn't either of us expressed a big desire to change them. Following Sunday School he got the two counselors of the Pres. together and said he wished they would give up their office. Tamatoa, even though he is old, is the smartest man on this Island; I hope Ray knows what he was doing. The result was we advance Tane Tupuhoe â Tamatoa from Teacher to Elder and same with Maro'a Tohitika. Why not wait until Conf. to do it? But nothing doing. He wanted action. The people all seemed surprised. "Tere" Braegger, who helped organize with Nile, didn't care for it at all. I don't blame him for thinking Ray was assuming authority, to some extent, to knock down their work. It isn't saying much for their (Elder B. & C.'s) work. Tere and I walked up to Urupano's to take a picture; he came back with two cans of beef. Elder B. surely thinks a lot of him. During prayer in Sac. Mtg. Teata layed down on te tahua faaamu ihora ioa i to'na tamaiti. Aue te taata maohi e!  Seven hours I spent in meetings. Ua fiu rii i te parahi-noa-raa. Ua faaite-atu-hia i to te amuiraa i te parau no te mahana Amuiraa rahi, o te ono e te hitu ia. Tirara parau .

Monday, October 2, 1939
We were awakened this morning by "Tero ." It was a little earlier than we usually get up but it was all right anyway. Two ships within a few days here is pretty good. "Gisborne " is back in the running again. There was nothing on it for us however; not even much war news so we still don't know what is going to come of it.

Ray and I were called over to Tamatoa's to settle a little dispute concerning trouble that came up years ago... to warn the new Presidency of the R. Society. Our decision was to leave it. The branch is running good, what is the use of stirring up trouble. We secured the consent of the two old sisters to leave their office for the younger folks; they were glad to do it. So, we worked over who were to fill the new offices and called a special meeting to talk it over with the Branch Officers. And that was the work for today. Elder Braegger and I studied a little grammar together, cut our stock of Samoas down, dunked them in the ocean, buried half, boxed half, and left the other half hanging. (It's really a stock and a half.) More than one can carry and cost 25 F from off the ship. Wish they'd get ripe.

Another thing to talk about happened during the night. Ray suggested we pray for rain, as the dry spell has been on a long time and water conditions are tough. During the night we were awakened by the rainfall... not long, but enough to put a little water on the Island. The next morning Heura brought us over a pitcher full of fresh water. Well, what about it? We know it just didn't happen. A long dry spell doesn't break just like that without a cause.

Tanetupuhoe e to'na ra utuafare; oia hoi, Tepapa, Teipo e to raua na tamarii.  This is a family
whom I met in Marokau (I was privileged to baptize the young lady holding the baby... she is
22 yrs. old.) And the old lady claims I saved her life while in Hikueru. A little medicine.

Tuesday, October 3, 1939
Not much today except outlining a trip inland tomorrow to get more seats for Conference on Teahu's vaa . "Tere" and I went visiting Ana ma , Teipo ma , etc. I also finished my translation of Sec. 52 of D. and Cov. Tepapa brought her sewing machine down to be fixed. I put it in order and put a new coat of paint on for her. The old lady wanted a needle too. Gang again tonight. Ua fui vau ia ratou .

Wednesday, October 4, 1939
We surely got the rain we have been praying for, today. It fell and fell and probably put quite a supply of water in the tanks. Just as it cleared up a boat sailed into the lagoon from Tauere with about fifteen aboard. What a wild ride they must have had on the ocean. We were surely all glad to see them... a lively bunch and full of pep for Conf.

Besides meeting them, we took a good shower bath in the rain. The rest of the day, I finished Sec. 52 completely, began on my record Acc. book, looked over my Priesthood lesson, and attended a meeting at night. Haven't a speech yet for Conf.

Thursday, October 5, 1939
Ray and I put in a few hours in visiting with Mohea and Tapahi today but didn't seem to get far. Both of them are ready for baptism but they just aren't willing as yet to take the step. It is just a matter of days I do believe. Ray and I knelt down on the seashore and prayed today, each voicing a prayer.

Teahu came over today so we three went into the Church-house and worked out our two-day's Conference. My work is Secretary for all meetings... to take minutes of everything. Also to act as Chief Adviser, to sit at the table and assist in charge of all meetings. Also to set Tehiaroa apart as 2nd Counsellor in Feia Api. Also the lesson in Priesthood Mtg. Sunday. Fixing that work and writing out my Acc. Bk. used up the day, what with Primary and Relief Society Mtgs.

Friday, October 6, 1939
I was up this morning, cleaned up and at work on my book (Acc.) before the others stirred. It was so cold last night we had to sit around wrapped up in blankets. The natives about froze. With rain and a hard South-wind blowing, the air had a twang of October deer season in it. We slept plenty cold. Almost wrapped up in the mattress.

Getting back to today's work: Four meetings of the Conf. are over and they were surely swell. Everything has gone over fine today and we are all pleased. There were three fellows advanced in the Priesthood, a new Relief Society Pres. put in, one counselor to the S.S. and one to Heia Api. Tauere led the night meeting with a good Haapiiraa Hohoa  taken from Judges XI - 1.... Everybody was well pleased. Everyone on the Island, I do believe was there; the building was packed. Ninety-nine was the count by the Deacon. The "big-shot" Catholic's wife climbed in through the window when it started to rain. Emea fatata roa ona i te fanau hoi. Na'u i faaoti i te ohipa no teie nei mahana na roto i te pure hopea . Tonight we're going to bed... 10:00 P.M.

Saturday, October 7, 1939
Another duplicate of yesterday. Aita e huru ê . We spent six hours in meetings, and with the last meeting last nite we feel our Conf. has been very successful. Tauere surely showed Marokau up when it came to singing and guitar playing. The count for today read 21 in Priesthood meeting, 46 in Primary, 39 in General Assembly, and 90 in Feia Api . The Catholics surely work better in the "Dark". They are afraid of the "light". Priest's orders likely. Retired about 11:00 P.M.

Sunday, October 8, 1939
Continuing on with our regular Sunday activities we were busy again all day. I led the lesson in Priesthood meeting, giving the Haapiiraa  on the Picture Story of Mormonism. Other activities were taken care of as regular. As we were just sitting talking this afternoon, a ship was "teroed". We went i tua  to see it. It was right close... a new Chink ship we hadn't seen before. There was an Englishman aboard who told us what news there was which wasn't. More propaganda stuff. Well, the big result of the ship's coming was that Ray and Elder Price made a hurried rush in packing and pulled out on her heading for Hao. Tere and I returned to the house alone. I guess it will seem a little lonesome for awhile, but we can get back to that again. Meeting tonight lasted three hours, and in the end I had to stop it. Natives can go on and on if they were allowed to.

During the past week from Sunday to Sunday I have attended 21 meetings (twenty-one). That makes a new record for me. Te peapea nei au i teie mau mahana. E rave rahi te faahemaraa ia rave i te vahine. Ua hinaaro roa ratou i a taoto i te Orometua e aita maua e hinaaro nei no te ohipa Evanelia. Ua mauruuru roa vau no te mea tei roto vau i teie nei ohipa e i te aroha o te Fatu. Te tiaturi noa nei au... eita paha vau e hi'a.  

Monday, October 9, 1939
Alone once again. We have the house all to ourselves except when the natives are in... which is practically all day. This morning To Tauere left for home. One would think a funeral had hit town. Everybody almost, Catholics and all were crying because they were leaving. Tauere surely made a big hit here and I'm sure we'll miss them. Even Elder Braegger and I were impressed with the love they have for one another. Mapui also left with the girl he just met and is to marry. His leaving family and friends was the hardest. Even I felt my eyes were misty as the vaa  loads of people went out to the boat on the lagoon and the girls sang my favorite tune "To Matou Mau Hoa e ". Well, we all have to separate. Our little prayer meeting on shore was impressive.

The rest of the day I spent in thrashing out a few questions for Pekaragi and working over my box. Partitions, etc. Now that the lamp is lit maybe I can follow the lines. [Editor: Some of the handwriting above deviates very slightly from the printed guide lines in the book.] But I'm about ready for bed as soon as I run Ana, Tepori, Fat and "Chinky" out. Not very much accomplished today.

Tuesday, October 10, 1939
The little trouble between Tanetupuhoe and Hoga's kid was finally brought to me today... I kinda have been expecting it. Maihea came over early in the morning asked me about it and then gave his opinion... His (Tane's) work should be stopped until a public repentance is made, and a few other of his thoughts. When he got through I began and my thoughts were practically opposite his. He was plenty peeved but he respected my decision. I then talked with Hoga and Pres. Matavai. The result was the matter is ended, I hope, and nobody got kicked out of the Church and Pekaragai apologized to Hoga. It's problems like that we have to solve often.

Tere and I went visiting a few Saints and our girl. I surely like these people. They welcome a person into their homes and make him feel welcome. In our visit to Tamehau... her baby was born on the 9th... I learned another native custom. She isn't flowing any milk so she gives her baby to Haumata to feed. H.'s baby was born a month ago, but H. has hoê titi i te ohipa. E mea ino roa i te tahi . And then asked if that was all right. E te tahi mea, aita roa te aiu i omaha e no reira ua ani atu au, ua, omaha te aiu. Te pahonoraa, aita. Aue Rutena e!  Some of the things we dare do and talk about down here. I wonder if I could do the same in English.

We stayed in again at night. Atanua and Ana were here all day so they didn't come down at night. So we went to bed after Matavae, Fat, Chink, and Pii pulled out.

Wednesday, October 11, 1939
It has been raining all day and still is. But we held meeting tonight with only eight out. Na Matavai te haupiiraa i faatere . Ana has been in all day. I've been trying to play the guitar along with her. She's surely good. The rest of the day I spent in reading Jesus the Christ, filling reports, and started a letter to Mother ma . Our water containers are full again.

Thursday, October 12, 1939
Still stormy weather but that didn't stop Primary and R. Society meetings today nor our walk for a visit or two. Tamehau is coming right along nicely and is ready to go back to work again. A false "Tero " was shouted today which set us almost packing our boxes. I dickered for the R.S. to make me a tifaifai  today if I furnish the material. They are plenty willing; I shall see.

We took us another good shower bath today by just standing out in the rain in a parau  and soaping up good. A little chilly but surely fine. Continued reading Jesus the Christ.

Friday, October 13, 1939
Hoga was here most all morning working on a tihiko  for Tere; we didn't get much done. This afternoon, however, we went visiting, I retrieved my B. of M. from Tamatoa, saw the Gov. and obtained Viri's package, visited Mohea and she said she would give her answer tomorrow. And we also visited Tuariro ma . At night I led the haapiiraa himene  with a pretty good turn-out. Kinda dry humor... Tamatoa was the only one I told abut me leading the singing tonight... and he didn't show up. Oh well! We had a good time until I got hoarse, which didn't take long. Shu..., I can't sing long... or short.

After meeting we had Ana, Tepori, Hina, Tapahi and Hoga in the house... oh yes. Fakai too. I talked a little alone with Tapahi but she still says, "araua' e ". The rest left a little early but we had to run Ana and Tepori home abut 9:30 P.M. Those two gals can surely sing and play. (?)

Saturday, October 14, 1939
"Tere" and I took a walk down the shoreline this morning until we came to a pass, then cut inland to the lagoon side, returning home by that way. On the way back he climbed a tree, picked us three "drinks" of water apeice and after we were filled, we came on. At the house we had to entertain Atanua and Ana. Between reading and a visit that I took alone to see Mohea, the afternoon was used up. Mohea, ua fatata roa ona i te bapetizo, areá râ, no tona mái aváe, eita e neheuehe. Ua faaite mai ona râ, i teie hebedoma i mua e faaoti ai. Eita paha maua i o nei. Ua reva ia maua paha . We were alone at night for the first time.

Sunday, October 15 1939
This past week has certainly gone by in a hurry; it soesn't seem but a few days since Re left. Today has been a usual Sunday except I blessed the first baby I have ever done. "Tevahineheipua Tearo â Teahinui" is the monicker I stuck on her. It should last or never run out. I read about fifty pages in Jesus the Christ to keep me up with the times. The "soldiers" are practicing again today. Some way to train them... double-quick up and down the street. Be prepared. Tane in more trouble today.

Monday, October 16, 1939
Most of today was spent in straightening up affairs in my box; stationery, paper, books, clothes, and trying to decide on new officers for Primary and Heia Api  seeing as how Tuariro and Tamehau are pulling out for Hao next ship. Teata is undoubtedly the choice for Primary and Matavai wants Maro for Heia Api  and Maro wants Hoga... I'm trying to judge between the two. At the present time, Hoga is my choice seeing as how Maro is first counselor in the Branch and Sec. of H.A. i taie nei . Hoga just isn't lively enough. Tiai rii .

Heard a little low-down on how the Catholic Fathers hold to their law of virginity... Ioane i pohe , has a child in Anaa... Hmm. I believe I know who it is but not because To Anaa told me. Teata entertained tonight with her family.

Tuesday, October 17, 1939
Same old story... expecting a ship any minute and therefore can't seem to get back into the run of things. Have done nothing more than read all day and entertain whosoever come in. "Sitting Bull" broke the news that he has asked Tapahi to quit her tobacco, join the Church and then he'll marry her. Imagine! Best looking gal on the Island next to Atanua.

Still on our diet of boiled fish and rock-cooked bread but in good humor and health. Read about twenty pages in Tah. B. of M. and a couple of chapters of Jesus the Christ. "Tere" and I are keeping up with a pretty close race to finish both books only he is reading Ess. of Ch. His. instead of Jesus.

Wednesday, October 18, 1939
A few visits today, a trip out on thelagoon while Hoga obtained some "pink" pukakana  for us... Tere got pretty seasick but didn't pihae . He wasn't feeling very good for a couple of hours after. We traded hair-cuts again and then went to see Ragitahi and new baby, then to Teipapu's, then Teruehe, then Tamatoa's, back to Teahu's, and Hoga's and home. A meeting at night with a pretty good crowd out. Hoga led the haapiiraa  from te Buka Autahu'araa ... Mose. Sent the people all home... again... at 10:00 P.M. Ua fuifaahou ia ratou .

Thursday, October 19, 1939
Another rainy day but we had early morning Primary, afternoon Relief Society, and then I walked to Hoga's for a few minutes, bought four cans of sardines and returned. Ana has been in again most of the day. She got fooling around again e no reira, ua haama vau ia'na ma te parau raie, "eita roa vau e hauti i te vahine i teie pae au." Ua reko mai oia râ, "E mea maitaki roa ia hakapii i taua haga ra hou to koe hokiraa'tu i Amerika no te mea e, aita roa te vahine papaa i ite." Ua hinaaro roa ona ia haapii mai iaku area râ ua faaite au ia'na ra, "Eiaha roa koe i manako i te reira; e mana'o ino roa to koe. Faaea i taua huru parau ra." Aita ra ona i faaea, auaa i faaite mai i te hoe ohipa i mana'o-noa-hia e to Amanu e hao, oia hoi, to Torotena ohipa i mana'o hia. E mea papu e, e parau haavare roa ta ratou. Ua tika vau i ruga e aita i parau faahou ia'na ra . We soon retired after they left. E mea au ore o Tere i teie nei mahana. E mea papu e, ua tia ona i te pae aui a to'na roi i teie poipoi. Aita râ e peapea.  

Friday, October 20, 1939
Ole "Sittin' Bull" was in all day again; I wonder if that's all we have to do... sit and talk to him? I had plans for a good day but that is as far as it went. We did find an hour's visit to Ragitahi and Hoga... he has another boil... the old lady, Teipo who once again declared her love for me... she and her daughter Teipapa, whom I baptized, claim I saved her life over in Hikueru and she has never forgotten it. Well, it's surely great to have friends like they are. Hoga cut out my time pin today; quite a nice job. Our lamp has a hole in the wick so we held no singing practice tonight but went to see Tamehau and her baby who has a mouth full of cankers. We left some canker medicine for it. The "Bull" was in again with more problems: why do we allow our women to take part in preaching the gospel. He surely makes me tired with his hanging around.

Saturday, October 21, 1939
During Priesthood the day we took a good long walk to the east of this Island... nothing to see but trees and water. We enjoyed getting away from the house though and the stretch did us good. We were gone about three hours and drank five haaris  for food and water.

Upon returning to the house we had a waiting invitation to go to Hoga's for supper. We were plenty glad to get an invite out and Ana didn't disappoint us in the good food she cooked. Hoga is in pretty bad shape so we spent the evening with him. I returned once to the house and made a visit to see Mohea. We talked for a while and she said all she lacked now is a white dress to be baptized in. That was easily fixed. Tere and I returned to the house from Ana's and bathed and went to bed, praying for a good day tomorrow. We have a little work left here and I'm sure that is why the Lord has prolonged the ship that was due here two weeks ago.

 home and church
Our home and Church house in Marokau. The one on the left is the home although it seemed
we spent most of our time in the other during Conference days. Marokau Oct. 22, 1939

Sunday, October 22, 1939
During Priesthood meeting this morning that Tere led, a ship was sighted just off tua . The assignments were given out that Tere was to baptize Mohea and I was to confirm her a member. We figured, "well we had better be getting packed and let the Branch finish the work", but keeping an eye on the ship, we continued with regular meetings, doing a little packing in between. After S.S. we went to the shore, held another open air meeting and then Elder Braegger baptized Tehetu Mohea â Papanui. Continuing with work of getting ready, we found Sacrament meeting coming around. The captain had told me they would leave at five so we still had time. In Sacrament Mtg. I confirmed her (Mohea) and also gave a farewell speech for both of us, using as text Matt 25:31 -- hopea . I didn't get too sentimental. From then until ship time we spent in visiting, eating dinner with Hoga and Ana, and talking with lots others. About 5:30 we said "Ia orana " to "to Marokau ", and a few tears were shed on their part. I got softest when telling old Teipo good-bye. All she could say was, "Aue, Aue, te reva nei oe! " Well, suffice to say, we didn't get seasick on the "Florence C. Robinson ", a pirate ship if I ever saw one. Fakai sailed with us.

Rutena Home Page

Next Island: Hikueru again

Rutena in Tahiti | Takaroa | Niau | Hikueru | Tahaa and Raiatea | Huahine | Anaa | Marokau | Hikueru again | Papeete

msn spaces graphics  Dell Computer

© 2012 Allred Family